DIY Re-Gas Air Con

Moderators: aaj, mike020150, JimMann

WULLIE4567

DIY Re-Gas Air Con

Postby WULLIE4567 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Guy's
You might already know this but you can buy a re-gas kit from Halfords, I thought I already put a post in about this ( must be loosing it ) :roll: . anyway it's called " EZ CHILL AUTO AIR CONDITIONING RECHARGE " it's easy to use and works a treat, freezing cold. Some of the benifits include ;
Restores refrigerant and oil
Seals leaks in hoses, gaskets & O rings
Cleans system deposits
Improves efficiency
Advanced leak sealant
Acid & moisture sealant & eliminator extends the life of you're A/C

A year before I used this kit I had my car re-charged by my local tyre company, it was great at first but within 3 months it was blowing warm again. The Halfords EZ gas has sealed the small leak I may have had and now two yr's later still blowing cold. Having worked with cars most of my life I know that the air con system's rubber o rings shrink/harden and tend to leak EZ lubricates and seals them, it won't seal any condenser leaks though.

Hope this helps some of you.

Merry Xmas & Happy New Year To All Forum Members :)

Wullie. 8)
XJS AWAY TO NEW OWNER.
XK8 COUPE MY 2000 MY TOY & RANGE ROVER SPORT WORKHORSE.

mike020150

Re: DIY Re-Gas Air Con

Postby mike020150 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:25 am

Hi Wullie,

Thanks for a useful tip.

Happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year to all our readers! Mike. :D
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S

doug424

Postby doug424 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:50 pm

Greetings both et al.

A couple of thoughts about diy re-gassing.
1) I thought the vacuuming out part of the professional re-gas was essential to remove moisture from the system (we've all seen the school boy trick of water boiling at room temperature in a vacuum).
2) The aircon label on all cars I've seen refers to a weight of refridgerant required, not a pressure.

Any opinions?

Doug Barrass,
Ashford, Kent.

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi Doug,

You are, of course, absolutely right about doing the job correctly, by the book. The advantage of DIY cans is that they can be used to determine if a system already in trouble will hold pressure with the addition of sealant. This can be done relatively cheaply as a DIY test. Then, further decisions about the necessity and affordability of expensive repairs can be taken. With XK8s for sale at as little as £2k these days and aircon repairs invariably being expensive, it can be handy to have a very basic DIY option even if it does come with the downside risk of getting it wrong and shortening component lives. Mike.

poprivet

Postby poprivet » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:18 pm

I've used this stuff in my Citroen and it certainly has done well, I recommend it. Obviously it won't help a serious A/C problem, but it will boost a system that has lost a bit of gas over time. If there is air in the system then a full professional vac out and refill will be required.

They also sell the aerosol cans that disinfect the system and make everything smell nice again, sometimes they have a special offer on to include the aerosol free with the gas.

Its no use for my XJ-S which is still on R12 and just about working, and is certainly on borrowed time for some professional attention.
1988 3.6 XJ-S coupe
'Remember that the value of your investment can plummet as well as fall'

WULLIE4567

Postby WULLIE4567 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:47 pm

Guy's
In my post I said I had my car re-gassed by a local tyre company so it was done professionally, I used the DIY re-gas to top up my system, It took less than one canister to make it blow nice cold air & seal my small leak.
Doug; The gauge is designed to Measure A/C pressure/refrigerant level so the gauge knows what level/weight is in your system, It's not some old tyre pressure gauge. It also has a Moisture & acid eliminator in it so it's safe for us DIY dummy's to use.

Please go to http://www.interdynamics-europe.co.uk for full details. I just thought it may be useful to us Jag owners to top up our air con systems. :roll:

Wullie 8)
XJS AWAY TO NEW OWNER.
XK8 COUPE MY 2000 MY TOY & RANGE ROVER SPORT WORKHORSE.

ionod

Postby ionod » Sat May 31, 2014 5:22 pm

How can I test if my A/C compressor is working/running?

Thanks

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:52 am

The simplest of checks is to watch the aircon pulley whilst someone else switches the aircon on and off with the temp setting on its coldest. The pulley contains a clutch which engages to drive the pump internals. You should be able to see and hear the pump engaging and disengaging. Mike.

PrideofLyons

Postby PrideofLyons » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:43 pm

Also, with the engine running and aircon switched on, the shiny pipe at the back of the engine bay (feed pipe to the blower in the car) should feel icy cold.

ionod

Postby ionod » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:13 pm

Hi,
Bought a re gas kit from Halfords and followed instructions. It did exactly what it said on the tin. They are currently running a three for two offer and you get £10 refund on returned gas canister.

A/C now icy cold.

Thanks all for tips and advise.