XJ5.3 Radiator

Moderator: XjRestorations

Pistonbroke

XJ5.3 Radiator

Postby Pistonbroke » Fri May 03, 2019 9:56 am

Hello All
Ordered a new front crank seal complete with machined spacer to cure an oil drip and the local garage was going to fit it today and give her an oil change and filter. But as we know things are never that straight forward with an old Jaguar. Drove it in, we lifted the bonnet to decide if he was going to remove the rad fans and cowl to gain space, low and behold we find that we also have a split in the radiator between tank and core. Where would members suggest is the best place to get a replacement rad ?. Thought about maybe a re-core but I know these engines require cooling to be spot on so not too sure what is the best plan of attack for a 40 year old rad. Would appreciate any recommendations. We abandoned the crank seal as if the rad is getting removed that problem will be easier to fix. Car is a Series 2, 5.3 pre HE, MY1979

Graham

mike020150

Re: XJ5.3 Radiator

Postby mike020150 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:28 am

Hi Graham,

You are right in assuming good cooling is critical for V12 reliability. Re-coring the radiator is to all intents and purposes as good as a new radiator because the repairer will only re-use the end tanks and will replace the matrix which does all the cooling work. Often, a re-corer will offer a standard core and an uprated one. If given a choice, opt for the uprated version to give the car a little extra cooling capacity. The crank seal will certainly be a lot more accessible with the radiator out of the way! Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S

davidr

Postby davidr » Fri May 03, 2019 1:35 pm

I would agree with Mike. Go for an upgraded re-core which will both give you improved cooling capacity and the peace of mind that all of the connections will fit back on with no bother as they are the original ones.
Remember the golden rule of V12 ownership which is "don't cook it!!!"

Pistonbroke

Postby Pistonbroke » Fri May 03, 2019 2:35 pm

Thanks guys, by the remarks, I am going to go with the suggestion of a re-core, makes sense, get it upgraded, keep the dimensions and fixings in the correct place. If I had the tools I would have attempted both these jobs (not the re-core) as there is a great step by step photographic account by a guy called Bernard Embden on the oil seal at least. I have not had the car long and its clear it has not had much use in recent times, seems as though she is kicking and screaming slowly back to life. On the plus side it goes and stops very well and is more than capable of keeping up with modern day traffic in a smooth, turbine refined way. We sadly name any cars we have had, the wife has suggested a choice of two. Princess Piddle and Officer Dribble :roll:

Thanks for taking the time.

poprivet

Postby poprivet » Fri May 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Not sure where you live, I had my rad recored at Eastleigh, Hants.

Northampton Auto Rads advertise regularly in the magazine and are recommended by many.
Al
1988 3.6 XJ-S coupe
'Remember that the value of your investment can plummet as well as fall'

RichardSEL

Postby RichardSEL » Tue May 07, 2019 7:30 pm

Would add agreement to all posted above. I've used Boston Motorcool three times -- a Mk IX, a Mk IX heater box, and an XJ6 series 1. The XJ6 they uprated to three core from it's OEM two core.
Very reasonable rates, in a rush so drove up there (southeast London to Boston) and back in a day. They had it done while I had my "healthy option" of greasy spoon breakfast. Ask for Richard if you make contact -- they do courier if you need
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
In trim shop for total refurb: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Stalled in storage '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

Pistonbroke

Postby Pistonbroke » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:39 am

The Saga of he Jaguar 5.3 continues :( New re-cored rad fitted complete with uprated core. New crank seal fitted complete with new spacer, new otter switch fitted to water pump for the electric fan. She doesnt leak anywhere and runs cool, however, took it for a blast last night, passing much more modern machinery with ease (god these cars pull) Turned into the road leading to the house and heard the most horrible grinding noise. Complete panic as I was sure it was coming from the engine. Lifted the bonnet and quickly discovered the noise was coming from the viscous fan assembly, gave the fan blade a wiggle and its loose. Thing is I dont think its the centre nut that has worked loose as it does not appear to be rocking on the water pump shaft. Is it possible that its breaking that an integral centre bearing of the viscous unit is breaking up ? Fan blade is tight on the assembly. Anyway it needs replaced, Haynes manual does not mention a radiator removal to do it, anyone had to tackle this job ? Thank you once again for your feedback, its much appreciated.

Graham

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:23 am

Yes, it's possible to remove the viscous fan assembly with then radiator in position. Just prepare for skin grafts on your knuckles! :D Mike.

Pistonbroke

Postby Pistonbroke » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:58 pm

Hi Mike, yes that seems inevitable, I made a mistake saying it was mounted on the water pump, I see it has its own casting, jockey wheel and adjuster. I did wonder if I could remove the casting complete with pulley and fan assembly but alas the space does not allow it, as you say its going to be skinned hands and swearing and chucking of spanners. all part of the joys, thank you for the feedback. P.S. do you know if its left or right hand thread on the front bolt :D

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:23 am

It's a year or two since I did the job so I'm afraid my memory isn't good enough to recall whether it was a left or right hand thread. Mike.

PaulGover

Postby PaulGover » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:41 pm

Don 't be tempted to run with a seized viscous coupling (you probably aren't, but just in case); the fans can spin at a much higher rate than usual, and break up under centrifugal force. The bits come off and have enough energy to cause proper damage under the hood. Mine left a dent in the bonnet; it could have sliced a fuel pipe.
1981 XJ6 Series III basket case
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2008 XJ TDVi

Pistonbroke

Postby Pistonbroke » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:35 pm

Hi Guys, panic over, removed the top fixings for the fan mounting plate and managed to move that back a touch, removed the six bolts holding down the slam panel and managed to move that forward enough to get my hand and spanner on the viscous coupler centre nut, big spanner on the spindle and off she came.New one on order along with a new washer and roll pin. Will be fun and games trying to locate the washer roll pin when fitting the new one. The joys of old cars. Then you sort of look at your relays while your there and the state of the connections and the fact you will be skint if you try and source an original Hella headlamp relay :( , then you take a look at the MAP sensor and worry if it has a split diaphragm, going to test that using Dr. D. Jet instructions on the Old Timers Site (a great read for D Jetronic owners) My car seems to be ill more than its well, clearly the previous owner never drove it enough. Mind you when its working its all worth while. Thank you again for the great feedback, nice that folks take the time. :o
Last edited by Pistonbroke on Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pistonbroke

Postby Pistonbroke » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:38 pm

It's a year or two since I did the job so I'm afraid my memory isn't good enough to recall whether it was a left or right hand thread. Mike.

Lefty Loosy Mike

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:58 pm

Thanks for the reminder. I hope I won't need to remember it for a while! Mike. :D