Steering making creeking noise

Moderators: davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

ng4xjs

Steering making creeking noise

Postby ng4xjs » Sun May 28, 2017 8:29 pm

Flummoxed best describes this one. My steering has begun to present a "creaking, groining" when being turned. Maybe extra hot today (doubt it). It's not fluid or pump related. I'm guessing the up on the steering Column but has anyone else come across such a thing?

Nick

davidr

Re: Steering making creeking noise

Postby davidr » Sun May 28, 2017 9:25 pm

My V12 does it occasionally. I've come to accept it as one of the idiosyncrasies of an old lady!!
I've no doubt that there's a slightly worn or dry bush somewhere in the steering column but it doesn't bother me that much.
However, if you find an easy fix let me know!!
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Conv. (shown on the JEC stand at NEC Nov 2015)
2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

ng4xjs

Postby ng4xjs » Sun May 28, 2017 10:36 pm

Will do David - May just be it's been so hot last few days :)
I only noticed after replacing a front outer wheel bearing earlier today. In no way connected, but just a coincidence perhaps.

Nick

PaulGover

Postby PaulGover » Tue May 30, 2017 12:38 pm

Nick,
I assume you say it's not pump-related 'cos it's there when the motor's not running (otherwise I'd suggest a low fluid level causing air in the system). Actually, it could still be air in the system, as turning the wheel pumps fluid (and air, if any) from the rack around the system.

If it is down to the column, it might be the knuckle joint; it suffers from a lot of exhaust pipe heat (particularly if the heat shield is missing). Mine seized solid, causing a "bump" on turning lock to lock, though no noise. It's an integral part of the lower steering shaft, and AFAIK it's no longer available. If it is the problem, you might find one in a breaker's yard, otherwise kit-car component suppliers sell knuckle joints that could be welded on as a replacement, provided you know a really good welder. (The thought of a bad weld breaking at speed ...)

Other possibilities include virtually every front suspension bush, as turning the wheel will cause small changes in position in most of them, starting obviously with track rod ends and anti-roll bar bushes.
1981 XJ6 Series III - strictly XJ6O2 - dissolving in the rain
1986 XJ6 Sovereign Series III
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2008 XJ TDVi

Architective

Postby Architective » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:48 pm

I had this groaning noise from my power steering but I topped up the power steering fluid and it stopped immediately. Unfortunately the reason why it was low is because I have a leak from the power steering system so I will now have to get this sorted.