REAR AIR VENT

Moderator: robv12

DougX

REAR AIR VENT

Postby DougX » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:00 pm

Hi, Can anyone advise me whether the rear air vent (Jaguar Part No: GNC7890AA) which has a cigar lighter insert can be fitted to an XJ8 that hasn't one. I have read that there is a white electrical block behind the air vent which I have but it isn't plugged into anything. I assume the loom is there for cars that are fitted with the cigar lighter but not sure whether it would be 'live' and can be plugged into the cigar lighter if I get a replacement part with the cigar lighter. Any ideas??
Jaguar XJ8 Rear Air Vent.jpg

PeterDavisX300

Re: REAR AIR VENT

Postby PeterDavisX300 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi Doug.

I have an X300, and it had the plug, and it was live on my car. Very handy having an extra 12v socket. I did the same change and just plugged the block onto the back of the socket.

Peter
1995 X300

DougX

Postby DougX » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:09 pm

Hi Peter,
Obtained a second hand unit from local Jaguar breakers, plug in and...……………………………..nothing!
I'm now thinking that if the car came without the rear air vent/cigar lighter it may not have the fuse for it in the fuse board. Anyone know which fuse board the rear cigar lighter is linked to???

A.J.P.

Postby A.J.P. » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:14 pm

Hello Doug,
Saw your article in J.E.Magazine,car is looking good :D .
In my Vehicle Care Manual it lists the cigar lighters as:(I think they both run off that fuse)
Fuse 5.Rating 25.
Luggage Compartment Fuse box – Electrical Carrier

Fuse Rating Circuit
No. (amps)
1 10 Security and locking control module
(Reversing lamps, rear fog lamps, stop lamps,
electrochromic mirror).
2 5 Fuel filler flap.
3 5 Audio system.
4 5 Radio telephone, ‘E’ post lamps, navigation.
5 25 Cigar lighters.
6 - Not used.
7 20 Fuel pump.
8 10 High mounted stop lamp, caravan/trailer
stop lamps.
9 10 Antenna motor.
10 10 Security and locking control module (luggage
compartment release, caravan/trailer
direction indicators, fuel filler flap relay).

Tried to attach a photo but it wouldn't let me :(
Might be worth checking the Auxiliary + relay in the boot which is R7(Brown)
If you PM me your email address I can send you the Vehicle Care Manual in PDF if you would like it.
Good luck anyway.
Enjoy your cars.
Andy :D .
Enjoy The Luxury Which Is The X308
Jaguar XJ8 4.0 Sovereign LWB
Colour:Emerald Green (HGG code)
Year 2000
120000 Miles and Rising :D
J.E.C. Member

DougX

Postby DougX » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:30 pm

Thanks Andy, this will be very helpful. I have looked at No. 5 fuse in the boot and it appears ok. I will check out the Auxiliary + relay in the boot tomorrow and see what this turns up. One other suggestion I have had was that it may be Fuse 14 on the right hand side fuse box in the rear right hand side foot well. Checked this and found there were no contacts in this fuse location. The fuse I put in just slid in and out, so I have to assume there is nothing in it. Strange!

DougX

Postby DougX » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:30 pm

I have now resolved the rear cigar lighter problem in a most unorthodox way. I connected the rear of the cigar lighter to the wires that were in the central console housing. I then found that the cigar lighter was not working. However, the illuminated ring around the cigar lighter was lit. Therefore, I established that there was power to the outer ring. Testing the two wires with a volt meter that attach to the cigar light itself, I discovered that there was no power on either of these two feeds. Checked No5 fuse in boot, found to be OK. So took off white and blue wire from the rear of the cigar lighter and used the red wire linked to the outer illuminated ring and plugged in. Bingo! all fine and cigar lighter now working. The ring is not illuminated but that doesn't bother me. Not sure why the cigar lighter wires were not working, can only assume that there is a break somewhere in the circuit. I will look at fixing the front cigar lighter at a later date, but as it requires removing all the central console, I am not in a position to do this at the moment. Will endeavour to investigate in 6 months time when I SORN the car during the summer months - my XK8 will then be on the road.

DougX

Postby DougX » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:20 pm

Update: quick fix failed. Too many Amps required for cable. Reverted back to original wiring and obtained a new air vent with cigar lighter. Found my problem was that I was using an Autoleads Mini Blade Add-A-Fuse device, but failed to realise it required two fuses in the top. I had only fitted one. When I fitted the extra fuses, the cigar lighter worked perfectly, so does my dash cam which is also connected to the same fuse (No 5) Happy bunny now!