Thermostat Housing Removal 4.0L

Moderator: robv12

xjscharlie

Thermostat Housing Removal 4.0L

Postby xjscharlie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:34 pm

Hello Folks,
Looks like i'm going to have to remove my thermostat housing due to a leak. I am advised that it may be necessary to adapt an 8mm spanner by bending it by approx 90deg in order to remove the 2 rear capscrews that are under the inlet manifold. I can appreciate the necessity of this having had a good look at it.
Wondered if anyone has done this and can proffer some advice before i undertake the job? Any advice appreciated. Thanx. Rgds.

J44EAG

Re: Thermostat Housing Removal 4.0L

Postby J44EAG » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:28 pm

85 degrees is about right for the hot bent spanner. This is known in the JEC as "The Jenner Joggler" after its far sighted design pioneer, `yer Uncle Rob.

Look at the modern S-type cooling section where you will find my post about carrying out this job. Images therein illustrate the procedure. Fit the common after-market aluminium conversion tower kit. The plastic OE one if still fitted is likely to disintegrate as you undo the three 10mm bolts around the stat housing periphery. Berkshire Jag Components hold them on the shelf. Only fit an OE thermostat. Aftermarket ones can cause issues.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

xjscharlie

Postby xjscharlie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:50 pm

Many thanx for the advice. I read the posting in the S Type Cooling Section & will set about making a spanner~only hope i can untorq those 2 back bolts. Would anyone still have the fotos handy published in the October edition of the 2009 mag as i dont have that?. Dont want to be a pain on that but if available?? Thanx. Charlie.

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:34 pm

Images and story in my post, Charlie.

Take a look in the past mag section on this site for the relevant back number. Essentially it is the same as my post on the S-type cooling section. What you see on this site often gets edited for the mag at a later date and I cut and past text to form the basis of my articles.

The two front bolts will come out with a socket and ratchet. For the back two bolts, the bent spanner allows you to get under the inlet manifold without having to lift it from the top of the engine. Access in that location is impossible with a socket. Hence the nead for the bent spanner. The job isn`t that difficult.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR