Ignition switched supply XK8 - 2003 Coupe

Moderators: aaj, mike020150, JimMann

chisron350

Ignition switched supply XK8 - 2003 Coupe

Postby chisron350 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:52 pm

Hi Folks,

I am installing DOLPHIN front parking sensors and need a ignition switched supply, I think the cable colour is brown... please confirm and give me some idea where I can splice in.

Regards, Ron Chisholm

JimboV8

Re: Ignition switched supply XK8 - 2003 Coupe

Postby JimboV8 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:15 pm

Hi Ron,
Here is the electrical manual for your car, enjoy. :mrgreen:
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/AutoRep ... xk2003.pdf
2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio :mrgreen:
​Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe in that order and enjoyed all of 'em. :D

Astromorg

Postby Astromorg » Tue May 28, 2019 9:43 pm

It depends where you want to put the On/Off switch. I've got mine in the little tray area just in front of the J Gate, so I tapped into the supply to the cigar lighter. It's a White/Blue wire. I then ran the wire from the switch up through the dash across to the lefthand side and out through the very large grommet with many other original wires into the bulkhead box. Then on to the front park assist module and the sensors.

Actually, although that's the route, I ran the wire the other way round through from the engine side as access is easier that way. This link will take you to a set of instructions intended for fitting an oil pressure gauge cable, but pages 14, 15 and 16 show you what you have to do.

http://www.thejagwrangler.com/uploads/8 ... ev_1.4.pdf

Brown wires and Brown with a tracer colour are (almost always?) battery supply. Ignition switched supplies are White or White with a coloured tracer. But always check!
2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe
2005 X type 2.5 SE Auto

chisron350

Postby chisron350 » Wed May 29, 2019 1:18 pm

Hi Ron,
Hi Jimbo,

Many thanks thanks for that. Finest regards, Ron C

chisron350

Postby chisron350 » Wed May 29, 2019 2:04 pm

It depends where you want to put the On/Off switch. I've got mine in the little tray area just in front of the J Gate, so I tapped into the supply to the cigar lighter. It's a White/Blue wire. I then ran the wire from the switch up through the dash across to the lefthand side and out through the very large grommet with many other original wires into the bulkhead box. Then on to the front park assist module and the sensors.

Actually, although that's the route, I ran the wire the other way round through from the engine side as access is easier that way. This link will take you to a set of instructions intended for fitting an oil pressure gauge cable, but pages 14, 15 and 16 show you what you have to do.

Brown wires and Brown with a tracer colour are (almost always?) battery supply. Ignition switched supplies are White or White with a coloured tracer. But always check!
Hi Astromorg,

Big thank you for all this... you will know how helpful it is.

My current plan is to place the switch on the knee bolster near the small pull-out bin, once I've sussed your suggestion I may revert to that, that little tray gets some use.

Finest regards, Ron C

chisron350

Does my car have a CANbus interface and where is it?

Postby chisron350 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:00 pm

chisron350

Hi all, Please forget that last unnecessary question. Ron C

Postby chisron350 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:16 pm

Hi Ron,

chisron350

Postby chisron350 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi again, sorry to bother you.

I have installed the switch in the knee bolster and I will place the sounder in this area also. I am struggling to bring the cable(s) through the bulkhead/firewall, is there a place on the drivers side (RHD car) that I can come through? I am prepared to drill through if necessary, appreciating that I must seal for fire.

I have the instructions for the oil sensor cable, but prefer to stay on the driver's side of the car if possible.

Thank you, Ron C

Astromorg

Postby Astromorg » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:39 pm

Sorry to disappoint you Ron, but I don't think there's anything (Accessible) on the driver's side. If you want to drill through, I would think that either side of the brake servo pedestal would be the most straightforward route, being relatively easy access for the drill and an accessible space underneath that you can, depending on your agility, reach up into. A rubber grommet and a generous dollop of silicon sealant seems to Jaguar's style in that area.
2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe
2005 X type 2.5 SE Auto

chisron350

Postby chisron350 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:44 pm

Sorry to disappoint you Ron, but I don't think there's anything (Accessible) on the driver's side. If you want to drill through, I would think that either side of the brake servo pedestal would be the most straightforward route, being relatively easy access for the drill and an accessible space underneath that you can, depending on your agility, reach up into. A rubber grommet and a generous dollop of silicon sealant seems to Jaguar's style in that area.
All understood... Thank you.

chisron350

Postby chisron350 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:40 pm

Hi folks,

Job done, all this came from my wanting to fit front parking sensors and looking for a convenient ignition switched supply.

Having fitted the sensors I drilled down through the firewall initially through the brake booster flange (black plastic), connected into the circuit feeding the air sampling fan (?).

All working, a big thank you to Astromorg who guided me to this location and advised on other aspects. The sensor switch is located in the knee bolster adjacent to the Valet switch.

Ron C, GD53 HRM, 2003 XK8.

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:48 am

Success with these types of jobs proves that not all work on these electronically controlled beauties is out of reach of we mere mortals! :D Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S

Astromorg

Postby Astromorg » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:55 pm

Well done Ron!

Must be time to spread the word Mike! :D
2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe
2005 X type 2.5 SE Auto