Satnav update

Moderators: JimMann, aaj, mike020150

sportbrake

Satnav update

Postby sportbrake » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:59 pm

I have bought 2019-20 update disk from Satnav Store for my XK 2017MY. I inserted disk and received message that software update required 'remove disk urgently'. I removed disk and replaced the 2017-18 disk to find the navigation sysstem was 'dead'. The radio etc still works. The Satnav Store tell me i should not have removed disk. They advise me to insert disk and to disconnect battery for 15 minutes. If the update takes more than 30mins i should drive the car until the nav system starts. Can somebody tell me please if this is good advice. Thank you.

RichardSEL

Re: Satnav update

Postby RichardSEL » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:18 pm

There's no address, or 'phone number on their website.
Just a page to request a RMA number, which is what I'd recommend
https://satnavstore.com/index.php?route ... urn/insert

You've followed the instructions that you were given and you've had the result you've posted. With PayPal you have some additional protection at least...
So I would'nt pursue trying to operate with this disk anymore.

Place your last genuine disk back and hopefully, you'll at least get your last genuine maps back
I've had an '01MY XJ8 4.0L with no updates either -- but knowing how deep the security is on Blaupunkt (for VWs)
sat navs (mine reset itself eventually) and JVCs too, I would'nt touch a clone satnav disk despite the temptation

Let us know how you get on?
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
In trim shop for total refurb: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Stalled in storage '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

sportbrake

Postby sportbrake » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:34 pm

Thank you. I have not yet carried out their instructions as I am afraid of the consequences of disconnecting the battery.

RichardSEL

Postby RichardSEL » Sun May 05, 2019 6:44 pm

Thank you. I have not yet carried out their instructions as I am afraid of the consequences of disconnecting the battery.
Called a "hard reset" you'll not have any problems disconnecting the battery, then tying the connectors together for say five mins (jump lead or cable tie), then re-connecting. You should check you've got your radio's code first of course as that'll be needed when you re-connect
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L

sportbrake

Postby sportbrake » Mon May 06, 2019 10:27 pm

Thank you. Do you mean connecting/touching the positive and negative cable ends together?

mike8man

Postby mike8man » Fri May 17, 2019 10:58 am

There has been some chatter about lower cost sat nav update disks on the XKEC forum and this one seems to work: I recently bought the 2017/18 DVD disc from these people. Excellent service and good map disc with new roads.
https://www.latestsatnav.co.uk/latest-2 ... d-61-p.asp
With this further comment:
Hi, discs arrived today, just the disc, no instructions, so with some trepidation I popped it into the DVD player in the back of the Jag. Got in, turned on and a message flashed up about updating. Nothing happened for 5 mins so started the car and then turned off. Turned on again and Sat Nav asked me to agree as usual which was a relief, but to check it was the latest edition I attempted to change the Home address. We live on a brand new estate which I could never input to my 2015 XF or the XK, but this time it located the new postcode with no problems. So I now have the latest 2017/18 updates in my 2010 XK, really pleased and only £29.99!

sportbrake

Postby sportbrake » Wed May 22, 2019 3:42 pm

Thank you. You gave me the confidence to proceed and it works fine. What a relief. Chris

RichardSEL

Postby RichardSEL » Wed May 22, 2019 6:21 pm

Thank you. Do you mean connecting/touching the positive and negative cable ends together?
Yes, the battery clamps on the ends of the battery cable.
Very useful procedure as it can clear error codes or reset ECUs to defaults

But it doesn't clear all stored error codes (one in particular, the emissions sensor fault on my previous XJ8, would
only clear with the use of an iCarsoft handheld).

Recently had my '03 Range Rover L322's dash light up like a Christmas tree with the transfer box locked in.
The iCarsoft wouldn't clear the fault, but at least doing this "hard reset" allowed me to drive normally to the nearby
Rangie indie garage. The ABS ECU had decided to throw a fit -- only fixed by a swap out with another known good
ECU