2010 XKR Coupe

Moderators: JimMann, aaj, mike020150

PChilds

2010 XKR Coupe

Postby PChilds » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:16 am

Good morning,
We have a 2010 XKR Coupe which is used very infrequently. The car is stored in the garage with the battery connected to a trickle charger. The trickle charger shows the battery to be fully charged.

When trying to start the car (foot on brake, press start button) it doesn't turn the starter motor. You can hear a very quiet 'click' from the engine bay which may be the starter solenoid perhaps? All interior lights and vehicle displays are operating normally as is the key fob and alarm system.

Any clues or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Best Regards, Peter

mike020150

Re: 2010 XKR Coupe

Postby mike020150 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:31 am

Despite being connected to a battery conditioner/charger, the car's symptoms point to a failed battery as the most likely suspect. As a first step, either substitute the battery or try jump starting from another vehicle to eliminate it from the diagnosis. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S

RichardSEL

Postby RichardSEL » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:41 am

Yes, a duff battery very quickly shows "fully charged" on trickle chargers since a duff battery -- being a storage device -- can't accept and store charge.

I'm assuming you disconnect the charger before trying to start up?

Is it the original battery? Five years' life is the absolute max for OEM Jaguar batteries otherwise you get into the "sometimes it will start, sometimes not" era -- temperature, whether just had a long run, whether been stuck in traffic with lights on, etc -- all of which will eventually lead to forcing you to change out. Otherwise it'll fail often at the most inconvenient time and place -- when you need it most :idea:
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
In trim shop for total refurb: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Stalled in storage '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

PChilds

Postby PChilds » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:54 am

Good morning,
Many thanks for reading the post and the helpful replies.

Interestingly when the AA arrived they pronounced the battery to be in fine fettle and indeed fully charged. From inside the car he locked and unlocked using the key fob which obviously also activated the alarm. Once unlocked from the key fob (inside the car) it started on the button and ran perfectly.

I had been in and out of the car earlier in the day with both doors open for prolonged periods. I can only assume that at some point during this time the car decided to mobilise itself? I had however locked and unlocked the car from outside and indeed tried the second key fob prior to calling the AA. This as you may have already guessed made no difference.

I will report back if the problem persists or reoccurs but for now many thanks for your help.

On another matter I was interested to read an article by Quentin Wilson in this months Classic Cars. The article featured the late XK's as being one of the greatest GT cars produced by Jaguar and tipped them as investments for future classes status. It's an interesting article so if you're looking for a magazine to browse then take a look.

Many thanks, Peter

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:59 pm

As we used to say in the marine maintenance game, "A light left on, there`s your battery, gone"!

As I found out at one of our National shows once, use of the CD player, a door left open with the console lights on etc was enough to cause a non start after just four hours. A boot light left on overnight through not closing the lid down properly will have the same effect....Broken, won`t go!!

Double locking the car is helpful as it puts the car to its deepest "sleep" state in about twenty minutes after the car has been run. That is helpful as the security system is somewhat greedy in electrical current if not double locked.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR