Issues with starting XK (2007)

Moderators: aaj, mike020150, JimMann

DianaO

Issues with starting XK (2007)

Postby DianaO » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:12 pm

My husband is beside himself with frustration regarding our XK (2007) Jaguar!
We do not drive the car every day and rarely in the winter but it does have a trickle charger attached when in the garage.
Two years ago it would not start whilst parked outside a hotel for the previous evening. We were due to take it on a days rally so you can imagine the disappointment. We could open the doors and boot but all the lights kept flashing - it looked like a pattern of some sort but impossible to tell what the sequence was - and the car would not start.
RAC said the battery was dead and replaced it.
We thought that was the end of it and had no more problems until this October, exactly a year later and outside the same hotel before a similar rally, when the same thing happened. All the lights back and front kept on flashing and car would not start.
Again the RAC came out but this time confirmed there were no problems with the battery. (One of their mechanics thought the problem might be because it was parked next to an electric charging unit and had many tales of similar problems with other cars). They then transported it to Hatfields of Shrewbury.
Hatfields did all sorts of investigations and ran various diagnostic readings costing us over £2200 and eventually thought that the problem was with electric pins that were loose in the CAMBUS circuit. (Their explanation - I don't have a clue what that means!)
We picked the car up on Thursday 6th December , drove it to our garage in Wales and hoped the problem was solved.
Today, 4 days later, exactly the same thing has happened. My husband went to start the car, opened it fine, popped the key inside, opened the boot to get something out, thought he would start the car to give it a short run and .... lights flashing, car wouldn't start.
We have hunted the internet to find out if anybody has the same issue and cannot find any particular answers. I don't think that Jag's answer to some similar questions - ie that the car is not driven enough - is satisfactory.
Can anybody help?
What does the unreadable pattern of lights flashing mean? It must have been originally programmed to do this so what was expected to cause it?
If the battery is not flat then what other combinations of electrical issue can cause the car not to start but have enough juice to continuously flash?
I love this car - it is a beautiful design and hugs the Welsh roads that we drive it round comfortably and with ease. But can we trust it any longer?

RichardSEL

Re: Issues with starting XK (2007)

Postby RichardSEL » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:01 pm

Firstly, you have a problem with Hatfields charging you £2,200 for no fix or a recurrance of the same fault you had them fix previously. Main dealers do have an agreed service warranty programme for instances such as this. Check with them to see whether you qualify.

Hatfields would've connected your car to their diagnostic system that tells if there are any faults on the car stored in it as "fault codes" -- usually a letter "p" with a four digit number after them. You can also
use a similar, but not so detailed unit vailable to buy to read stored fault codes. I use the iCar iSoft 930 -- it plugs into what is known as the OBD2 (On Board Diagnostics style 2) diagnostics port socket -- its under the drivers' side dash near to the transmission tunnel. These units cost about £99 inc a useful instruction booklet that comes with.

There's no guarantee that your fault will be shown up by such a unit. Your car has an intermittent fault that's only showing up rarely. That fault has to be on the car when a diagnostic test is done. Not every car fault is detected and stored in the car. So your fault may not show up at all even if on at the time of test.

Because today's cars have delicate electronics controlling all sorts of functions that were previously controlled by old fashioned bulky components capable of taking misuse, I always remove the battery's terminals before connecting a battery charger, whether one of the new style float chargers or not. So the charger is only connected to the battery, nothing else.

Other common areas to check are whether the battery leads are warm after some time of trying to turn over the engine? If so then there's a bad connection either at the battery terminal end or the terminal at the other end of either cable. These connections are "crimped" onto the wire -- and they can get less effective especially when old or corrosion sets in.

Bit of a general reply I'm afraid but I hope it gives you some direction to go?
Let us know how you get on?
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
In trim shop for total refurb: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Stalled in storage '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

DianaO

Postby DianaO » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:09 pm

Thank you Richard. Will keep you posted on progress.
Just one thing re Hatfields Shrewsbury. This was the first time they had worked on the the car for this particular fault so a warranty claim did not apply. However , we have made them aware that the work they carried out has not fixed the fault and it remains to be seen what their response will be. When we picked up the car last week we discussed the possibility of their fix not working and whether they provided some sort of warranty on the work they had just carried out. We were told that they provided a warranty on parts they had fitted but not on work such as this. This is why it is so frustrating. We have spent over £2200 but do not seem any nearer to having an answer.

RichardSEL

Postby RichardSEL » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:26 pm

Last week you picked up the car from Hatfields? Then their work is "not fit for intended purpose". And they must take it back since the fault they charged you £2,200 for to fix is still there. You don't pay £2,200 for nothing. All their weasel words "we've not had a fault like this before" etc. are just that IMO. :evil:
BTW, did they give you a list of components that they did change?

If they won't take it back then tell them you'll find another Jaguar dealership's service centre and take it there.
Those costs will be for them as you're not expected to pay twice for the same thing...

>I don't think that Jag's answer to some similar questions - ie that the car is not driven enough - is satisfactory.

Not only is that an unsatisfactory answer but it's daft

Good luck :shock:
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
In trim shop for total refurb: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Stalled in storage '61 Mark IX with 4.2L