Forced to replace catalytic converters with aftermarket ones

Moderators: JimMann, aaj, mike020150

ewenmacaulay

Forced to replace catalytic converters with aftermarket ones

Postby ewenmacaulay » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:11 pm

My tale of woe.
My car is the 2008 XKR-S and the nearside catalyst has failed after only 50000 miles. Booking it into my local dealer for a replacement resulted in the news that JLR have run out of stock and there are none available globally. Owners be warned! Apparently they do plan to have some made but can't say when and I was therefore left with an undriveable car. My only option was aftermarket and I bought a new pair from Catman and had them fitted by a local independent yesterday. Almost immediately the engine warning light came on and the reader indicated, presumably from oxygen sensor data, that the engine is running lean on both banks. Can anyone shed any light on what might be causing this since the only work carried out was the catalyst replacement? I believe the original catalysts were 600 cpi and the new ones are 400 if that might matter.
thanks
Ewen

Astromorg

Re: Forced to replace catalytic converters with aftermarket ones

Postby Astromorg » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Getting into a guessing game or assumptions as to what is the cause of an EML can be an expensive, frustrating and fruitless pastime. You really have to start with establishing which fault code is being registered to cause the EML to come on. That will steer the investigation towards a most likely cause and appropriate detail diagnostic procedures or areas to physically examine in detail.

To go against my own advice (!) its possible that some part of the air intake system or a vacuum line has been displaced during the cat replacement, but a fault code should set the best route to follow.
2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe
2006 X type 3.0 Sovereign Auto

ewenmacaulay

Re: Forced to replace catalytic converters with aftermarket ones

Postby ewenmacaulay » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:16 pm

Thanks Astromorg
My logic has suggested that as being a likely cause as well but I'll have to wait to next week to get the codes. I don't believe it can be the catalysts or the sensors because it is both banks so a displaced or damaged hose has to be the number one suspect. Time will tell!
Ewen