DAB UPGRADE

Moderators: JimMann, aaj, mike020150

lovejags

DAB UPGRADE

Postby lovejags » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:01 pm

Hi i have a 2007 xkr convertible does anybody know if you can have an upgrade to receive DAB, if so could you tell me about it.

mike020150

Re: DAB UPGRADE

Postby mike020150 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:39 pm

The easiest way to convert an FM radio is likely to be by using a separate commercially available adapter. Even if physically possible, Messing around trying to upgrade to the Jaguar installed DAB set-up would be expensive and may involve greater access to the car's software than even a main dealer could manage. I would like to be proved wrong but in most instances, Jaguar reserved the ability to modify the XK's software to factory level which is why it's vital to buy a car already fitted with the electrical accessories you require. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S

Delboy

Postby Delboy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:50 pm

Yes, retro fitting of the OEM Jaguar DAB system is possible, I have just done it.

It is much easier on the 2009MY onwards cars but it can still be done on earlier X150's, its just a bit more complex.
PM me and I will find the info for you.
Sorry, but haven't time at the mo to give all the info in this thread, but it definitely can be done.

RichardSEL

Postby RichardSEL » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:42 pm

There are several good knowledgable aftermarket fitting shops around that fit a DAB receiver, remote, aerial, and then can plumb it into your existing system via the CD audio in AFAICR
Or can take out your existing and replace it with a double DIN (refers to the size of headunit facia) DAB radio unit. They then would have to mock up a surround for top and / or bottom to fit.

There are also some headunits that will replace an existing double DIN (or single DIN) size headunit. Unfortunately, the headunits supplied in Jaguar are a non-standard DIN size so the hole doesn't immediately allow this method (I changed from a sad RCD300 in my previous daily, a VW Passat '06MY, to a then top-of-the-range JVC)

There's alway a fudge needed for the steering wheel controls. Adapter units are available from Connects2 -- I think they do a DAB receiver as well.

As has been posted, forget a proper Jaguar upgrade -- arm, leg, and probably a kidney needed to pay for it
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
In trim shop for total refurb: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Stalled in storage '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

Delboy

Postby Delboy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:22 pm

There are several good knowledgable aftermarket fitting shops around that fit a DAB receiver, remote, aerial, and then can plumb it into your existing system via the CD audio in AFAICR
Or can take out your existing and replace it with a double DIN (refers to the size of headunit facia) DAB radio unit. They then would have to mock up a surround for top and / or bottom to fit.

There are also some headunits that will replace an existing double DIN (or single DIN) size headunit. Unfortunately, the headunits supplied in Jaguar are a non-standard DIN size so the hole doesn't immediately allow this method (I changed from a sad RCD300 in my previous daily, a VW Passat '06MY, to a then top-of-the-range JVC)

There's alway a fudge needed for the steering wheel controls. Adapter units are available from Connects2 -- I think they do a DAB receiver as well.

As has been posted, forget a proper Jaguar upgrade -- arm, leg, and probably a kidney needed to pay for it
This is probably out of most peoples reach on the X150 as it is a hugely expensive job. X100 much easier, not so the X150.
If anyone wants info on a DAB retrofit email me or PM me. It can be done.

andypryce

Postby andypryce » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:08 pm

I have recently installed a Pure Highway 400, having tried a couple of cheaper ones first. The cheaper ones were ok but not brilliant, with quite frequent drop outs, but so far the Highway seems excellent, works all the time, even in places where the factory fitted DAB on my Mazda drops out. The best bit is that the wiring is only to the aerial, the receiver connects wirelessly to the aerial, so can be tucked away out of sight. As my X150 does not have an auxiliary input I play the Highway via FM, again works really well. For just over £100 am well impressed.
andy

2006 XK

RichardSEL

Postby RichardSEL » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:40 am

Just found the notes I nicked from a US site that talks about integrating audio output from a Bluetooth (or DAB tuner) into an existing OEM head unit. With "how-to". Believe this'd be same for an XK8

If anyone wants email me [email protected] for a .pdf copy.
Remind me what it's for: X308Bluetooth.pdf :oops:

Forum does'nt allow file attaches in this format :roll:
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
In trim shop for total refurb: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Stalled in storage '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

lovejags

Postby lovejags » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:54 pm

Hi know it's been a while but have had more important things going on with the car than a DAB upgrade. Anyway Andy yours seems the easiest way of doing it, can you just tell me if it is that easy to install? Does the unit have to come away from the console? And what about the wiring? Any info greatly appreciated.

andypryce

Postby andypryce » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:11 pm

Dead easy. The highway comes with an aerial and transmitter that you mount in upper left side windscreen, you need to attach an earth wire, they supply one that magnetically adheres to the roof under the roof lining, but as the body is aluminium you can't use that, so I attached a wire to the bolt holding the passenger door retaining strap and threaded the wire up inside the door pillar, then connect with a spade terminal. Not difficult as long as you are happy with minor electrics work.

The receiver unit has no cables, just needs batteries. The main wire from the transmitter ends in a a USB cable, and they supply a cigarette lighter adaptor for this. Conveniently in the XK there is a 12v outlet port in the glovebox, so I used this. As soon as you switch ignition on the transmitter comes on and connects itself to the receiver. You can mount this somewhere, but personally I just leave it in the central cubby all the time away from thieving eyes. Default station is 87.9FM, so tune your radio to that and store it, and it works brilliantly. There is a fitting guide on you tube, just search pure highway 400. Total fitting time about 30 minutes.

I am really impressed with the reception, never drops out, unlike the fitted DAB unit in my Mazda. And I am not on commission from Pure!
andy

2006 XK

lovejags

Postby lovejags » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:47 pm

Cheers Andy got the highway 600 got it from a company on eBay £90,fitted it today 20 mins absolutely brill thanks for your help.

andypryce

Postby andypryce » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:28 pm

Good result, and a good price too. I was a bit worried about battery life, but still going on same ones for almost 2 months now.
andy

2006 XK

lovejags

Postby lovejags » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:20 pm

:) Appreciate help Andy if I can help you anytime just ask.

andypryce

Postby andypryce » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:35 pm

Very kind, I will send you a list of the current issues on my XK! Only joking! :shock:
andy

2006 XK

DaveNeedham

Postby DaveNeedham » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:42 am

Don’t forget if you go for a jaguar DAB upgrade there are two types DAB and DAB+. The plus version is backwards compatible but the cabling is silightly different. The ‘ordinary’ DAB you may find you can tune a station and it will display but there will be no sound.

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:58 am

Not being a particular ICE fan (I prefer a good engine note!), I'm ignorant of the DAB differences. Any chance of an expanded explanation? Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S