XKR 1998 passenger door window

Moderators: aaj, mike020150, JimMann

[email protected]

XKR 1998 passenger door window

Postby [email protected] » Tue May 14, 2019 1:06 pm

Hi all can anyone offer any help i have just bought the above vehicle the passenger window does not auto drop when i open the door its a convertible . I try to lower by window switch i hear a click but no movement i have tried to research window position when it works and then if i open passenger door the window drops lift the handle and drops again and so on it is intermittent. For the latter . I have seen a number of issues can anyone take me through the steps i should check from simple to most expensive as i do not want to buy a new door module if its not required.

mike020150

Re: XKR 1998 passenger door window

Postby mike020150 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:02 am

Hi John,

Start with the window reset procedure. With the door shut, lower the window to its lowest position and keep the switch pressed until you hear a click. Then, raise the window to its highest position, again keeping the switch pressed until you hear a click. That should set the window memory limits enabling the window drop to operate correctly. The problem is that a less than healthy battery doesn't allow the module to hold its memory settings. This is why it makes a lot of sense to keep these cars fed by a battery conditioner when not in daily use. Post again if this procedure does not provide at least a temporary cure. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S

[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Wed May 15, 2019 10:45 am

Thanks Mike i have tried the reset memory position it did not hold the setting i am awaiting a volt meter to turn up to test the charge for the battery to rule this out i have also bought a CTEK trickle charger i am about to connect to keep the charge at its optimum i will keep you posted if and when i find the root cause of my issue but thanks for your help so far

[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Thu May 23, 2019 7:50 pm

Mike i have had the battery on trickle charge the window fixed itself briefly then today stopped working again checked the volts it is 12.5 straight of the trickle charge what should it be for a healthy battery do you know unsure when the battery was last changed?? Now questioning battery or module still?? Also having issues with locking the car keeps moving through lock sequence then sets alarm off any ideas further before i strip down the door panel and chase the module

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:52 am

Since the reset procedure worked initially, as you say, the battery remains a prime suspect. Without the more sophisticated kit used by main dealers to test batteries, you need to beg, borrow but perhaps not steal, a brand new battery to rule the existing battery in or out of the equation. A simple volt meter reading isn't enough to be certain of its condition. The lock cycling issue sounds like a lock microswitch problem best cured by replacing the lock assembly. However, pay heed to the old engineering adage about solving one problem at a time and resolve the battery problem first. Batteries are known to be at the heart of most XK8 electrical problems and yours could be influencing the lock problem too. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S