XK8 convertible jacking up advise

Moderators: aaj, mike020150, JimMann

RMA37

XK8 convertible jacking up advise

Postby RMA37 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:26 pm

I've read some alarming reports regarding jacking up an XK8 convertible. Cracked screens and bent cross members. Mine is a 1997 model and I want to remove the wheels and plastic liners to inspect etc during the winter, I'll also want to remove both bumpers at some point.

I have the usual trolley jack and axle stands and have worked on many cars over the year's, but never on a convertible. I would be grateful to hear from anyone on here who has done this and can recommend where to place jack and stands. Thank you.

RichardSEL

Re: XK8 convertible jacking up advise

Postby RichardSEL » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:34 am

Many years ago had a '73MY Citroen CX IE that used to creak alarmingly if I used a trolly jack on only one side
Forget the OEM-supplied jack that inserts into the chassis member -- they're widow makers all of them :oops:

Trick was to use two trolly jacks parallel to each other on either side to ensure load is equal. YMMV
I use a block of wood about 12" x 2" instead of only trolly jack's usual round platform -- that spreads the load lengthwise

(Citroen's hydropneumatic suspension means you start off in "High" setting then use the jacks to hold in place, then use the "Low" or "Normal" setting. As if by magic the wheel/s you want to remove raise off the ground! Did this on a DS23 last year too for a puncture)
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
In trim shop for total refurb: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Stalled in storage '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:27 am

Jaguar's advice is to jack the front of the car, 'centrally under the front body crossmember' and to 'Place suitable vehicle stands in position at the front vehicle jacking points'. Note the Jaguar warning, 'DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RAISE THE VEHICLE BY LIFTING ONE FRONT WHEEL. DO NOT POSITION THE JACK HEAD ON THE ALUMINUM SUSPENSION CROSSBEAM'. For the rear, 'Position the jack centrally under the rear suspension subframe' and 'Place suitable vehicle stands in position at the rear vehicle jacking points'. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S

RMA37

Postby RMA37 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:26 pm

Thanks Mike, I have read that but looking at other forums the advise is not to use the front cross member because it distorts under weight. I have seen a suggestion (with photo) of using a wooden strengthener to raise and then place axle stands, but it does seem a bit 'Heath Robinson'.

I never use the car jack for anything like this and I'm reluctant to put the axle stands anywhere near the jacking points.

I would be glad to hear of any member with an XK8 convertible who has lifted it successfully.

RichardSEL

Postby RichardSEL » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:28 am

Jaguar's advice is to jack the front of the car, 'centrally under the front body crossmember' and to 'Place suitable vehicle stands in position at the front vehicle jacking points'. Note the Jaguar warning, 'DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RAISE THE VEHICLE BY LIFTING ONE FRONT WHEEL. DO NOT POSITION THE JACK HEAD ON THE ALUMINUM SUSPENSION CROSSBEAM'. For the rear, 'Position the jack centrally under the rear suspension subframe' and 'Place suitable vehicle stands in position at the rear vehicle jacking points'. Mike.
Erm, am I getting this right? Jaguar supply a jack but advise you not to use it?
Do they supply these "suitable" vehicle stands?

Had an Austin Princess 3 litre Vanden Plas for a few months -- I liked the fitted pneumatic jacks on four jacking points. Activate and the whole car raises. Equal stresses then! Can't have been all that expensive to supply from factory as standard. But those were marketed to fleet buyers or the few remaining chauffeurs still in service.
I liked that: £50 from a Deptford scrap yard and about £1,200 spent in mostly mechanical renovation to MOT.
Didn't the DS420 have the same? <loses self in reverie>
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
In trim shop for total refurb: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Stalled in storage '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:57 am

if it helps, I can say that I followed the Jaguar advice on the XK8 convertible I owned at the time. Initially, I was wary of jacking under the front body crossmember but by spreading the load using a wooden former and not leaving the car balanced there longer than was necessary to position the axle stands, all proved to be well. Mike.

RMA37

Postby RMA37 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:36 pm

Thanks for that Mike. The cross member in question is directly under the rad I think, maybe you can confirm. I've seen a video of someone in the US showing the jacking points he uses, and he uses a piece of wood at both ends. I have done that with lots of other cars, but they were all saloons and therefore quite rigid. I certainly won't jack up from the side as that has a history of cracking the screen. Someone else gave a warning of damaging the rad if the cross member deflects (he had to replace the rad), so I'll have a good look for any corrosion before proceeding..........garage needs to warm up first though!

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:59 am

fjack.jpg
. Personally, I agree that you should check for rust/damage before jacking under the cross member, preferably with something which spreads the load better than is displayed in the diagram. Mike.

DaveO

Postby DaveO » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:33 pm

Mike, I looked at this same parts manual drawing for jacking my XKR coupe centrally with a trolley jack. It is not at all clear to me where exactly is the cross member? Is it the crossbeam we can't actually see because it is covered with a plastic sheath and if so I would think it important to unscrew and remove the plastic first. I cannot see the purpose of this plastic cover as it has no structural benefits and it certainly wouldn't reduce rusting, if anything it might lock in water!
XKR 2004 Coupe' in BRG, Ivory leather and traditional Jaguar walnut dash. Super bodily condition and window seals recently attended. Mechanically work completed with front sub-frame mounts and ball joints, suspension overhaul, AC renewal.

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:13 am

It sounds like you are looking at the correct component. The plastic was possibly specified because of the inevitable peppering from stones/road grit at that point. As to the long term benefits or negatives of the plastic covering, the front crossmember has certainly not proved to be the most rust-prone part of an XK8. Having jacked there with a suitable spreader plate, the plastic covering on my car did survive the experience unscathed. Mike.

DaveO

Postby DaveO » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:44 am

Thank you Mike, that's good news as slim and fit as this 74 yr old likes to boast I would struggle to slide under the front to remove the plastic screws without some degree of raising the vehicle first and I prefer to avoid side jacking except in emergency. I really do appreciate the value of content on this forum and especially your own dedicated input.
XKR 2004 Coupe' in BRG, Ivory leather and traditional Jaguar walnut dash. Super bodily condition and window seals recently attended. Mechanically work completed with front sub-frame mounts and ball joints, suspension overhaul, AC renewal.

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:52 am

Glad to help. That's what the JEC is for. Mike.

RMA37

Postby RMA37 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:52 pm

Hi DaveO. Let me know how you get on and where exactly you placed your axle stands? Still too cold in my garage at the moment to do any prolonged work, but I want to get the inspections/work done before the summer.

DaveO

Postby DaveO » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:22 pm

RMA my first approach was to use a piece of softwood timber to span the crossbeam and placed the trolley jack exactly under the centre. I had to use the vehicle breakdown jack to ease one side up a couple of inches so I could fit the trolley jack on its lowest level. I started jacking up the car very gingerly, I was nervous about not being able to see the crossbeam to assess the likely strength or otherwise of this structure. Being covered by the plastic sheath is not at all helpful! After about 3 careful pumps I saw my timber beam starting to bend in the middle. You had already alerted me to watch for this and yes the crossbeam would appear to be positioned just underneath the radiator.

I had used softwood to make the jacking brace but this was not sufficient for purpose and I happened to have some very old oak measuring 3"x2" which I cut to 38" long (75x50x965). I repeated the jacking exercise but only went high enough for me to be able to slide in underneath to check for any oil or water leaks. I used timber logs as axle stands underneath the front jacking points each side of the car. This was the easiest and safest way for me as I have a mound of logs of varying sizes and axle stands would be difficult to place without damaging the skirtings and I don't like wobbly joblies!

Next time I need to have the car up on a lift (wish I had my own lift at home) I will remove the plastic sheath to see exactly what lies above it. I am not about to make the potential mistake of assuming that the manufacturer has fitted a crossbeam capable of taking the not inconsiderable weight of the front of the car! I want to see the crossbeam before making any judgment. It took some time for me to come to terms with the idea of the suspension subframe being made from aluminium so I shall be taking it steady getting to know this car and making the assumption I could very easily come unstuck :) Love driving her though!!!

RMA37

Postby RMA37 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:01 pm

Thanks for that DaveO. I've noted your points and I'll get back when I've done it successfully. I think the rear end will be easier but it might need raising a little to slide the jack under. I have a set of ramps but I doubt the car will clear them. I agree, they are a dream to drive and the car gets a lot of attention!