PAS Fluid Leak

Moderators: dhdove, davidr, BigCatXJS

microman

PAS Fluid Leak

Postby microman » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:28 am

Am cleaning up fluid leak on my '89 XJS 3.6 Manual. Having cleaned the PAS reservoir and pump feed pipes, tightened the pipe clips, the leak appears to come from the pump area.
Have removed the pump assembly and there is red PAS fluid within the adaptor (EAC3968) and on its under-surface by its ?drain hole.
In order to proceed further it seems necessary to remove the driving dog (EAC7081) from the pump shaft, within the confines of the aforementioned adaptor.
The Service Manual illustrates Special Tool 18G 1445 but this doesn't look right for this operation.
Question - how is the driving dog fixed to the shaft, eg taper fit, keyed. I could make a "puller" but need to know what I am up against!!

poprivet

Re: PAS Fluid Leak

Postby poprivet » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:15 pm

Maybe consider replacing the whole pump, plenty off XJ40 cars are available.

Such as Ebay 281266127941
(No affiliation, just picked at random)

The hoses are the usual suspects though, sometimes only leaking on full lock when the pressure rises, it sprays fluid all over the place - I know from experience!
1988 3.6 XJ-S coupe
'Remember that the value of your investment can plummet as well as fall'

ng4xjs

Postby ng4xjs » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:47 pm

Mine was interesting. I had what I initially thought was a leak from my rack/hoses but it wasn't, turned out to be the fluid reservoir which had developed a hairline crack and as a consequence was directing fluid towards the rack area. No allegiance but credit to SNG who re-manufacture the unit (NLA Jaguar).

ng4xjs

Postby ng4xjs » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:02 pm

Need some help please. I'm looking for a replacement "O" ring for the high pressure hose on my power steering, Part No. CAC35892. This is NLA but I guess I something generic would suffice if I knew the size. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Nick

ptjs1

Postby ptjs1 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:14 pm

Nick,

Worth phoning them to see if they have stock:

www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/303533/5497/o_ring

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

ng4xjs

Postby ng4xjs » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:19 pm

Thanks Paul - Their web page describes the part as not stocked. I'm guessing they (like others) get the item from Jaguar (Classic Parts) where it is NLA. I will give Jaguar (Jaguar) a call in the morning as it's not always the same parts bin each access.

Happy days
Nick

PaulGover

Postby PaulGover » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:56 pm

Need some help please. I'm looking for a replacement "O" ring for the high pressure hose on my power steering, Part No. CAC35892. This is NLA but I guess I something generic would suffice if I knew the size. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Nick
I don't know for the 6-cyl cars, but for the V12, it was a generic size.

If you still have the original, measure it with a micrometer, taking care not to squash it. It will almost certainly be a British standard (if imperial fitting) or ISO (metric) size.

If not, a rule of thumb that really does well is an o-ring sized at exact fit on the inside diameter, and 10% larger than the gap to the outside diameter or width of housing, whichever is smaller (usually the width is far larger than the difference inside to outside diameter, and provides the necessary space for the squished ring to expand into).

I got excellent service from http://www.polymax.co.uk when I wanted a mixture of sizes for my pressure washer, lawnmower carburettor, and yes, V12 power steering, though you'll probably find the size you want in a box of assorted generic O-rings from Halfords or Maplin.

Note that if you fit the wrong size, the only likely disaster is a severe leak under high pressure, and you can test for that in the garage - just try to turn the steering wheel hard from lock to lock with the engine running. If it don't leak, you should be fine. O-rings are very forgiving.
1981 XJ6 Series III basket case
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2008 XJ TDVi