leaking p/s

Moderators: davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

ptjs1

leaking p/s

Postby ptjs1 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:08 pm

Good to hear the views of others on the rack bushes.

For those that don't know, the problem on the OEM bushes is an inherent problem in the design. They are fine when new. However, when the original bushes wear even a little bit, it means that the first bit of movement in the steering wheel merely moves the rack itself to take up the play between the bush and the washer, before the turn-in of the wheels commences. The sports bushes are a better design and resolve much of the problem. However, IMO, I'd go for the poly bush every time as the problem just disappears.

Anyway, the reality is that just changing the bushes for any of the three options will improve your steering.

Jeff, I don't wish to worry you, but I would be very wary of whether your dealer knows what he is talking about. The price of £0.45 relates merely to the small washer (which goes next to the big washer outside of the bush, neither of which wear anyway) The original bushes cost about £25 each (3 required) from Jaguar.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Paul

1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

JeffTurbo

Re: leaking p/s

Postby JeffTurbo » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:18 pm

Jeff, I don't wish to worry you, but I would be very wary of whether your dealer knows what he is talking about. The price of £0.45 relates merely to the small washer (which goes next to the big washer outside of the bush, neither of which wear anyway) The original bushes cost about £25 each (3 required) from Jaguar.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Paul
Hi Paul
Thanks for that, I thought they were too cheap. He ordered the wrong ones and now they are a bit dearer, £25 as you said. :cry: Still i've got to have them so have made him order the right ones and checked that he has the correct bushes this time. Parts people eh, what can you do with them? :wink:

XJS V12 Convertable