Trouble with rack?

Moderators: davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

Damian.Gardner

Trouble with rack?

Postby Damian.Gardner » Sun May 07, 2006 4:02 pm

My XJS failed MOT on a power steering leak. I cannot however find it =/ I have noticed thought that the rack gaiters are split and the grease in them seems very thin, almost liquid. Also I have noticed that when I squeeze one gaiter the other one fills with air, is this normal? I can see from the Haynes manual that there is some sort of air pipe that runs across the rack so is that expected? Im trying to work out if the seals in the rack have gone.

I toped up the pump with fluid started the car and got my wife to turn the wheels back and forth but no leeks =/ I have noticed a small spot of fluid on the garage floor before though.

I did notice that the grease nipple on the rack dose seem to expel some grease when the rack is turned but the nipple is defiantly tight.

I did however have to change the power steering pipes a few months ago due to them splitting, the old ones had PTF tape on the threads but I didn't put any on the new pipes, is this just a frig that a previous owner could have done? or is it a requirement?

Any one else experienced any of this? The steering on the car seems fine when driven.

Thanks

Damian

poprivet

Postby poprivet » Sun May 07, 2006 5:32 pm

Split rack gaiters would normally be a MOT fail in any case. Perhaps this is what they meant? The best way to check for leaks is to run the engine and hold the steering wheel at full lock against the stop in each direction. This is when maximum fluid pressure is obtained, if there's a leak you will know about it PDQ.
PTFE isn't needed as the pipes are flared, the threads themselves don't do the sealing, only hold the joint tight.
Hopefully though, all you need is new gaiters.
Pop

(Footnote PTFE=Plastic Tape For Engineers :wink: )
1988 3.6 XJ-S coupe
'Remember that the value of your investment can plummet as well as fall'

Damian.Gardner

Postby Damian.Gardner » Sun May 07, 2006 10:44 pm

Well I do need new gaiters but that isn't what they were on about as there
was some fluid on the MOT garage floor.

Yep thats exactly what I tried todo with the wife. May be its only when the metal gets hot and expands? or when it cools? Going back and looking at it the low presure hose dose seem to have a small drip of fluid on it now its cool, may be PTF will fix it =/

I dunno why they didn't spot the split gaiters though, shame they didn't sopt the leek too =<