Steering Wheel & Airbag removal

Moderators: dhdove, davidr, BigCatXJS

ptjs1

Postby ptjs1 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:37 am

Has anyone any experience of removing the steering wheel and airbag from a vehicle?

I'm swapping over steering wheels and the service manual seems fairly straightforward in the instructions to diarm the airbag. However it does refer (as usual) to a special tool to unscrew the diasarming pin. Is this tool anything more than a screwdriver with a weird-shaped head to fit the recess? On the face of it, it looks as if I could fabricate something to fit quite easily. Any thoughts?

Either way, I'll be standing side-on to the wheel with safety goggles and gloves on!

Tks guys
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

desc5

Postby desc5 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:34 am

Paul,

I find myself in the same position as yourself, I have just recently aquired my first XJS and was considering replacing the existing wheel with one supplied by Murtle Products!

Can you advise me if you managed to complete this yourself and if so any hints or instructions would be very much appreciated.

Regards
Dougie

1993 4.0L

ptjs1

Postby ptjs1 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:52 pm

Dougie,

Congratulations on the longest gap between a post and a reply - 2 years - Well done!

Yes, I have taken the wheel off. It's a bit daunting but perfectly feasible if you follow the instructions and take it carefully.

You might also want to think about fitting an XJ40 Wood & leather wheel. My guess is they are a direct fit, but you just need to check that the airbag is the same - I'm 99% certain it is. Last year, Jaguar Classic Parts were selling these at £135 + vat, an absolute bargain!!

I wrote a number of posts on a JWM thread re removing the wheel. Have a look at:

http://www.kelsey-forums.co.uk/cgi-bin/ ... 91951800/0

Do feel free to give me a ring if you want to discuss.

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE

desc5

Postby desc5 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:24 am

Hi Paul,

Thanks, it seemed daft to start a new topic when this one was relevant to my needs!

Also good to know people do look into subjects that have been on the go for a while.

Appreciate your assistance and the link to the Jag World Monthly. great with the info and additional pictures.

Seemed a bit daunting when airbags come into play plus I wasn't sure whether the airbag would be of any use considering it's age, I beleive after 15 years they should be replaced anyway!
So could be that i could repalce with Non airbag type.

They certainly change the interior look of the car away from the standard black!

Only had the car since February so all new to me, first XJS!

Cheers
Dougie

Hosier77

Postby Hosier77 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:56 am

I have removed a few airbags from cars i have broken for parts, even the very old ones still work, for disposal purposes i detonate them in a safe area of the farm. The reason they have a 15 year life is because thats as how long they are tested for by the manufacturers, effectively any more than 15 years is an unknown and so the safe bet is to reccomend changing them. The main issue seems to be corrosion or mechanical damage, if the car is well looked after then the airbag may well last the life of the car.
Make no mistake, they are dangerouse. The noise is defening in a confined space, if you get hit by the bag you will get a hefty punch, if it goes off when the wheel is not attached to the car then it could propell itself some considderable distance. After they go off, they get progressively hotter and can burn, even half an hour after they go off.
They do make quite good bird scarers though....

Leon

Postby Leon » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:30 pm

Im building a picture in my mind of this :lol:

ptjs1

Postby ptjs1 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:57 pm

Leon,

We've been tring for some time to get an absolute definitive answer from Jaguar on this but, as you might imagine, people are reluctant to go into print in anything other than a "political" and non-committed manner.

Having spoken to a number of people, there does seem to be an opinion that any risk which increases as the bag gets older, is that its efficiency would be decreased, rather than the likelihood that they might go off unexpectedly.

My personal view, at this time, is that I'll be leaving mine in place if I can't get a new one at a reasonable price, rather than removing it. I wouldn't want to influence anyone, but if there was a real risk of premature detonation, I'm sure we would have had American owners screaming for litigation proceedings by now.

As regards changing your wheel, I would really recommend you look at the prices of XJ40 Wood & Leather wheels. You might get the Celebration effect at a very reasonable price!

Good Luck

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE

dhdove

Postby dhdove » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:22 pm

Dear All

From what I've read the main problem with "old" airbags is that the "seams" weaken. consequently when they go off you get a face-full of hot gases as the seam gives way which can give you quite bad facial burns. :cry:

BTW Is the recommended life ten or fifteen years? I thought it was ten.

DH Dove
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.

almcl

Postby almcl » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:30 pm

http://www.jec-xjs-forum.org.uk/xjsbb2/ ... 1-1_tn.jpg

15 years according to the label in my '93
Al McL
'93 XJS 4.0 - '05 X type Est 2.0D - '13 XF 2.2D Sportbrake

dhdove

Postby dhdove » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:03 pm

Almcl

Can't argue with that............ :D

Which is good news, two years to go 8)
NB Where exactly is that label, I'll take a look at mine.

DH Dove
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.

almcl

Postby almcl » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:53 am

dh Dove

The label on mine is on the edge of the vanity mirror surround in the glove box, but if yours is two years younger, don't you have a pax airbag taking up that space? If so, I don't know how the location changed. The label is illustrated on page C04 of fiche 5 and referenced on C07.

Al McL
'93 XJS 4.0 - '05 X type Est 2.0D - '13 XF 2.2D Sportbrake