Slight pull to the right

Moderators: dhdove, davidr, BigCatXJS

Martin

Slight pull to the right

Postby Martin » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:44 pm

When I'm driving I have to maintain a light pressure on the left side of the steering wheel to keep the car in line. I've recently had new brake discs all round, all calipers rebuilt, top front suspension bushes replaced, four new tyres fitted and front wheel alignment checked.

It's only a light pull, and it is affected by the road camber, pulls more if the slope is down to the right.

I don't think it's a sticking brake - they've been done. Could it be the steering rack bushes? Any other possibilities?

Thanks

cya266x

Postby cya266x » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:17 pm

Hi Martin,

Did you find out what was causing the light pull towards the left?
David - 1982 XJS HE

dhdove

Pulling............

Postby dhdove » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:49 pm

Martin
Sorry, didnt check the date of your original post......I guess you're all sorted? :D
DH Dove
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.

cya266x

Postby cya266x » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:41 pm

I'm wondering if this could be castor angle. Because, if I have read your note correctly, the only thing you have not done is change the bottom front bushes and checked the castor angle. Also, I'm assuming that the amount of pull is the same if braking or accelerating?

There are spacers either side of the top ball joint to adjust the castor angle, maybe they have been put back in the wrong order. Or, maybe the castor needs adjusting to the new suspension components. Was the problem there before you started rebuilding the brakes and suspension?

I'd like to know what others think.

David
David - 1982 XJS HE

Graham

Slight pull to the right

Postby Graham » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:02 pm

Hi, after reading the initial post on this subject i am now experiencing a similar pull on my steering but to the left.I have just had my front discs and pads changed by a garage that i have been using for a number of years and until now had complete faith in them.It has since been back to them 3 times in the last week and they admitted when changing the discs they damaged a bush on the left side which they have now replaced.Unfortunately this has not cured the problem and they have washed there hands of it and say they cannot see why it is doing it and can help no more.I am now frustrated as i use my car everyday and to keep taking it in to the garage has proved a complete waste of time.Initially when they returned the car to me the steering was all over the place and dangerous,it is better but it pulls to the left on any camber of the road.Having paid out a lot of money and the car feels worse than when it went in i am not amused.My car is a 1996 4ltr celebration coupe.I would be grateful for any help. I live in Leicestershire and work in south notts so if anyone can reccomend a garage that would be helpful.Many Thanks Graham :cry:

dhdove

Slight pull to the right

Postby dhdove » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:14 pm

Graham
Dave Marks..... :?: :!: (Top Man)
See contacts, top right hand corner of your screen
DH Dove

Graham

Slight pull to the right

Postby Graham » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:38 pm

Hi DH thanks for that i will get onto Dave in the morning and arrange to drop my car in.Regards Graham

cya266x

Slight pull to the right

Postby cya266x » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:41 pm

Graham,

Did you find out what the problem was?

David - 1982 XJS HE

Graham

Slight pull to the right

Postby Graham » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:50 pm

Hi, i have spoken to Dave Marks and i am taking my xjs to him on Monday, he seems to think that it maybe the shims but can only be certain when he has seen it.I will post what the problem is when he has seen it.

Graham

Slight pull to the right

Postby Graham » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:55 pm

DH's advice to take it to the "TOP MAN" was completely justified.There is no doubt the previous garage completely messed up even damaging the upper fulcrum pin to such an extent that this had to be replaced because of the severe "chisel" marks on it.In short 4 top wishbone bushes were replaced together with 12 shims that had not been put back on.My car in future will not be going anywhere else for repairs and servicing only to Dave Marks "TOP MAN".What i also liked about Dave is that he explains everything and even made a follow up call to me to make sure my car was ok as he was unable to be there when i picked it up. javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy

dhdove

Slight pull to the right

Postby dhdove » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:13 pm

:D :D :D :D :D
DH Dove