heavy steering

Moderators: davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

keithmervyn

heavy steering

Postby keithmervyn » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:54 am

Hi Simon. I doubt whether twin-headlamp wipers exist (??? anybody), but no reason why original washers should not aim well. My 4.0 litre 1992 facelift did not have headlamp washer/wipers, so this was never an issue.
Keith MR

WULLIE4567

heavy steering

Postby WULLIE4567 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:29 pm

Hi everybody
sorry I have not replied sooner just back from Working away, thanks a lot for all your replies.

Still not sure about the headlamp style think it's a personal choice thing but thanks for your thoughts.

the steering problem, well she's not nice to drive at the moment the tax is up at the end of the month. I am going to put her off the road for the winter, strip off the front crossmember and replace all bushes and get the rack checked out if possible. Mark B, mentioned zig zag steering when driving along the road yep thats what she does. it also feels as if the steering kind of plunks as I go round a roundabout (steering to the right) shes fine when steering to the left.

???? for you all can I buy a steering rack repair kit for the face lift model
:? cheers Wullie.
XJS AWAY TO NEW OWNER.
XK8 COUPE MY 2000 MY TOY & RANGE ROVER SPORT WORKHORSE.

SimonR

heavy steering

Postby SimonR » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:12 am

You having fun there, Wullie?!

Anyway, I had an idea about your steering problem. I recently had some suspension work done on my car and during the work, the intermediate steering column (bolts onto the top of the rack in the engine bay) was replaced because the universal joints on that part had siezed . It transformed the way the car steers: it now is smooth and a lot lighter.

You can remove and examine that part very easily and it may be an easy fix for you! You never know.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

SimonR

heavy steering

Postby SimonR » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:12 am

Forgot to say that the part is still available from Jaguar, unlike my suspension bolts that took about a month and a half to arrive!

WULLIE4567

heavy steering

Postby WULLIE4567 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:51 pm

SimonR
:( Yes some problems with my computer or maybe a dead short in my brain. anyway you may be right about the shaft/joint I will remove it soon as and check it. It does get roasted because it's next to the twin downpipes and it being seized could I suppose cause a kind of plunk as it seems to work off centre when turning if thats the right word.
I will let you know how I get on.
cheers wullie.
XJS AWAY TO NEW OWNER.
XK8 COUPE MY 2000 MY TOY & RANGE ROVER SPORT WORKHORSE.