True or false?

Moderators: davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

masterb

True or false?

Postby masterb » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:49 pm

Can anyone tell for sure if this is true or false?

Is an xjrs steering rack better than an xjs steering rack?
If so, why so?

I am led to believe you can swap them straight over, but i wont be doing that if there is no real difference /advantage.
I have also heard you can swap an old type pre face lift rack for a facelift one and these are better.

Anyone an expert here?
:?

Brakebuster

True or false?

Postby Brakebuster » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:01 pm

better ? as in how ?

if you think better is a slightly faster turn rate , and a presumed better feel back through the steering wheel , cant see how as all the bushes will be the same, and even Jaguar advised to fit ' sports ' bushes to existing racks if refurbishing ,

so , better , if you want that sort of thing

extra work and expense are a definite, especially if your existing rack is fine ,

and ensure that ebay rack is a genuine ' sports ' version before you buy it , and it will need a full refurb before installing in the car, as you dont know what kind of nasties are in there from being stored.......

but, it is a straight swap over component wise, you will need a full fluid change, and a full 4 wheel alignment from a proper workshop after ,

BB 8)
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2004 2.1V6 X-Type Saloon in platinum silver for the good wife
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

used to have
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8 in Seafrost

masterb

True or false?

Postby masterb » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:33 pm

Cheers BB,
I think after reading that i have slightly gone off the idea.
especially as my steering rack is working fine with no leaks etc.

I suppose i could perhaps fit my nice poly bushes to my existing rack, which said part is sat in my filing cabinet under unfitted.

That sounds like a more do-able and less stressful option.

I have enough to do still on the car without creating work for the fun of it, and also spending money for the sake of it to.
cheers.

steveww

True or false?

Postby steveww » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:20 am

I recently fitted the Poly bush to the steering rack as the original ones were at the end of their useful life. They certainly improve steering feel and response; especially on the motorway. There is not any additional harshness that I can detect. They are a straight forward swap. Beware there may be some shims in there when you pull everything apart. You will need to check the tracking once you have finished.
---
BRG 1996 XJS Convertible 4.0 Celebration
www.steveww.org