Refitting sports bushes?

Moderators: davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

PaulGover

Refitting sports bushes?

Postby PaulGover » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:05 pm

My facelift V12 has the sports bushes on the rack mountings. Except I think there are some bits missing... The bottom bush and washers and gubbins on the pinion side pretty much fill the space between the ears of the mounting. But the bush on the other side has a lot of free space, as if one of the rubber-faced thrust washers from the non-sports bushes was missing.

From what I've read, the sports bushes should have plain steel thrust washers - I assume one for each of the two lower bushes - plus packing washers, so it looks like there's one missing. If that's so, I'm in danger of damaging the mounting ears on the non-pinion side, by tightening the mounting bolt with insufficient washers to fill pack out the bush.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks in advance for any help.

For what it's worth, I didn't actually want to take the rack out. I started removing the RHS exhaust down pipe to fix a minor leak at the gasket, and in best tradition, when the workshop manual said "maneuver the down pipe clear", there wasn't enough space, so I thought I'd drop the rack.

steve455

Re: Refitting sports bushes?

Postby steve455 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:36 pm

Hi Paul

I could have written your post re the rack bushes "missing parts" ?????

I have looked down to each end of the rack , before reading your post, and have the same feature. Also I had a feel to make sure I was not being stupid and there is a missing rubber end washer.

My steering is not bad but... I ordered some neoprene bushes anyway.

I've not gone underneath yet, but this can't be right !!!!!
Its as if the rubber pack washers have split and fallen out......or someones been here before ??

Did you find an answer ??

Steve
1988 XJ-S Coupe 3.6

kelsham

Re: Refitting sports bushes?

Postby kelsham » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:18 pm

As I recall you only need to hold the rack from moving sideways, hence only two washers required. I stand ready to be corrected.

Regards Kels.