Big puddle...........Help!

Moderators: davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

thereverend

Postby thereverend » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:24 pm

Update 6 months on and still no jag.......... :(

Just looking for advice now. I'll have a re cap if you like.

I bought the XJS in october 2008, it had nearly 8 months of MOT left on it, Now because they have had it so long the MOT has expired.

So i get them to do the MOT as well, they do a pre MOT and say that one rear shock is leaking (fair enough) and they had to weld a hole on teh exhaust ( I knew about this) And a coupe of other quick and simple fixes were needed.

My main point here is what rights do i have regards to length of time taken over what would seem like a simple repair. I taxed the car for 6 months when i bought it and now i've got an MOT bill on top as well. If i had the car back within a reasonable time scale then A. I could have done the work to make it right myself. B, actually enjoyed the time left on the MOT and Tax, by actually driving it around.

I'm totally brassed off now, i've had the car 8 months and they have had it for 6 of these. Do you think i can argue my case for a huge reduction in teh final bill due to length of time they have had it. What would you do in my shoes, because it's making me angry now.

poprivet

Postby poprivet » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:54 pm

Sorry to hear that. Personally I wouldn't use a garage for an MOT, I use a council run centre instead. As they don't do repairs they have no interest in 'finding' things that they can then charge to repair.

It doesn't take much knowledge to do your own 'pre-mot' checks, leaking exhaust and shocks are easy to spot for instance and obviously will fail.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel ... calcouncil

Is it just the hose they are waiting for? I think I would settle any bill for work carried out and get the car trailered home and get the spanners out. It would be back on the road within a couple of days.
1988 3.6 XJ-S coupe
'Remember that the value of your investment can plummet as well as fall'

Brakebuster

Postby Brakebuster » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:01 pm

i took my XJ8 to Jaguar Cheltenham for an MOT , to be fair, they take it ' down the road ' as they are not VOSA accredited...

however, the ' garage down the road ' failed my car on the front lower ball joints, then Jaguar quoted me £850 to replace and put a new MOT back on the car

i said, thanks, but no-thanks , and took it to my local Quick-fit who i get on very well with , another £35 ( £45 less a tenner discount ) the car passed without any work being required

the reason i went to Jaguar was i needed the car put on the computer for reprogramming after a new ECM , and the only legal way to drive there was to book the MOT , lol

BB :wink:
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2004 2.1V6 X-Type Saloon in platinum silver for the good wife
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

used to have
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8 in Seafrost

thereverend

Postby thereverend » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:01 pm

After 8 months of reporting my initial problem i finally got my car back last friday. Yes 8 months on i now have my baby back, i'm not going to go on about customer service etc etc. I'm just glad to have it back, so now finally i can get started on all the little bits and pieces i was going to get on with 8 months ago.

I shall look forward to posting happier posts in the future, and for now am just going to enjoy driving her around.

Amen.
More Tea Vicar?

1990 V12 XJS

Leon

Postby Leon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:50 pm

Amen to that then Reverend,good to hear you are enjoying the XJs experience....post a pic of her and lets see what all the fuss is about :D

thereverend

Postby thereverend » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:19 pm

Not wishing to take the lords name in vain, so i won't. I opened the garage today and lo and behold one large puddle of power steering fluid greeted me.

Checked the oil level in the PAS pot and i didn't even need to do that because it was as dry as a bone. Going to get back on the blower again tomorrow and vent some more frustration on these people.

Really not very impressed, what a bunch of bleeding cowboys they really are..............The saga continues........watch this space.
More Tea Vicar?

1990 V12 XJS

extratime1983

Postby extratime1983 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:18 am

Reading through the reverend's woes makes me wonder why we really bother :?

Telsmoneypit

Postby Telsmoneypit » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:20 pm

Reverend, my bet is they've cracked the hose connections on the tank.
Nothing that a couple of loaves and a fish can't fix

:wink:

Yeehaw!

Cowboys...

Tel
XJ-S 3.6 coupe, Manual, Sportpack, Signal Red