Power Steering

Moderators: davidr, BigCatXJS, dhdove

KevtheRev

Power Steering

Postby KevtheRev » Fri May 30, 2008 4:25 pm

Although I have already expressed one problem with my XJS V12 concerning a nasty tendancy to 'dart around' whilst braking (I am still looking into that one) I have also noticed yesterday that after a few miles the steering seems to tighten-up. That is to say that once warm I have to 'undo' the wheel to straighten up as the steering wheel will not self centre. It is not constant - just certain places in the lock when I have to make quite an effort to turn the wheel both into and out of a corner. Not pleasant - especially when treading-on a bit!! It's almost like lack of fluid although that is not the case.

kelsham

Power Steering

Postby kelsham » Sat May 31, 2008 3:16 pm

Kev I had similar syptoms from my cabriolet it turned out the universal joint at the bottom of the steering column was seizing up, I replaced it with a second hand one, problem solved regards Kels.

davidr

Power Steering

Postby davidr » Sat May 31, 2008 10:55 pm

You'll know if the fluid is too low - the pump will make a loud noise like a cat being neutered without anasthetic! It's not easy to overlook!
Sounds like the u/j on the steering column to me - it's pretty close to the exhaust downpipe so the heat may make it sieze. May be worth trying a squirt of WD40 or something before going to the trouble of taking it all apart?
Good luck! :D
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Conv. (shown on the JEC stand at NEC Nov 2015)
2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate