Tracking and steering wheel offset

Moderators: dhdove, davidr, BigCatXJS

dhdove

Postby dhdove » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:02 pm

Dear All

During the recent floods I had to go up over a kerb to avoid the worst of the water and afterwards the car seemed to pull to the left........

So went to my local (v.good) tyre and exhaust centre and got them to check the tracking. Sure enough it was several mm out. They re-set it to spec. (as per service manual) but on driving the car the steering wheel is now offset about fifteen degrees to the right.

SO...........yesterday took it back and this time I sat in the car and held the wheel in the central position whilst they re-set the tracking.

On driving the car the steering wheel is STILL about fifteen degrees offset to the right :roll:

Any suggestions? - (Other than having it redone and holding the wheel fifteen degrees to the left)?

Is his a flexible steering rack bush glitch? ie Rack not centred before tracking?

Regards

DH Dove

XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.

aarondrs

Postby aarondrs » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:00 pm

Sorry to hijack. Funnily enough my steering is offset even after tracking being done. I had this done to try and sort my handling issues out (see post in suspension BB). Interested in answers to this one

car garage includes BMW Mini Cooper S, and BMW E39 530i and now XJS '92 4.0 FHC. Soon to add Subaru Legacy Spec B estate. Not sure which one of above to go.

ptjs1

Postby ptjs1 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:21 am

dh,

lazy fitters - get them to do it properly! Sounds like they are adjusting based on a fixed position from one side which is causing the wheel to be out, even though you think you're holding it straight. If it was right before, then they can get it right again without taking the wheel off (which they won't want to do, or be able to do on an airbag XJS!)

Paul

1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)