Compressor - repair or replace

Moderators: dhdove, davidr, BigCatXJS

almcl

Compressor - repair or replace

Postby almcl » Tue May 22, 2012 1:10 pm

The local air con station has just reported that my air con compressor is leaking at the shaft seal. No great surprise, even I could see the trail of fluorescein dye spread about in line with the pulley.

I've read some fairly dire warnings about trying to replace the seal and how the likelihood of success is not great, even amongst those who do that sort of thing for a living.

So, compressor replacement seems to be the answer. However, the Jaguar Classic Parts website suggests that neither of the compressors (CBC9845 or CCC4929) that were fitted originally are available.

Other websites say that a later one (MHE7300AA) which was fitted to later models is either a direct drop in or can be fitted with modifications.

At an eye watering £670 + VAT (slightly less from other suppliers) I'd really like to hear from anyone who has either swapped an early Sanden for a later one, or who has successfully replaced or had replaced a leaky shaft seal, before shelling out for a new one.
Al McL
'93 XJS 4.0 - '05 X type Est 2.0D - '13 XF 2.2D Sportbrake

BigCatXJS

Re: Compressor - repair or replace

Postby BigCatXJS » Wed May 23, 2012 8:30 am

Is there not a used option available? Graham at Grublogger http://www.grublogger.co.uk/pages/catxj ... aries.html has a CBC9845 available at £100... Just a suggestion to avoid a big bill...

Rich.

almcl

Postby almcl » Wed May 23, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks for that, Rich.

I did indeed speak to Graham yesterday. He is quite reluctant to supply used compressors because, in his words 'it's very difficult to know if they are OK.' Given the excellent service I've always had from him, I have decided to follow his advice on this.

Fortunmately have now found a new one which will be delivered tomorrow for under £300, so fingers crossed, although not cheap, this may solve the problem.
Al McL

poprivet

Postby poprivet » Wed May 23, 2012 2:06 pm

That sounds like a solution Al. Obviously having a fully working A/C is the ideal situation.

I suspect that there are many out there who have a faulty system and don't want the expense of repair. They might be aware that without the A/C working, if full cooling is selected, the system will go into fully-recirculating mode which will feel uncomfortable very quickly. To get around this, it can be modified to fresh air only, Kirby's 'Book' goes into detail for most Delanair's. Or they could keep the windows open I suppose.
1988 3.6 XJ-S coupe
'Remember that the value of your investment can plummet as well as fall'

almcl

Postby almcl » Thu May 24, 2012 8:16 am

without the A/C working, if full cooling is selected, the system will go into fully-recirculating mode which will feel uncomfortable very quickly.
Ain't that the truth, Pop?

My DD6 had an air con leak I couldn't initially find and consequently got driven about with no cooling for a while. It is possible to mimic the actions of the Gardiner/Napoli mod by turning the temperature up to the point where the recirc flaps just shut. The system will blow ambient + a bit. It is then possible after a few minutes to turn the temp down without the recirc flaps opening and to keep repeating this until the in-car temp is close to or at ambient. But it's very distracting, pretty uncomfortable and, given the V12's phenomenal heat generating ability, can take quite a while.

One day, all my cars will have fully functioning air con at the same time (dream on!)
Attachments
air con performance.jpg
Al McL

poprivet

Postby poprivet » Fri May 25, 2012 10:20 am

Whilst in the Outer Hebrides on the hottest September they have ever had, the pressure switch blew its seal on the back of the Aircon compressor dumping all the R12 gas.

Two consequences, I was damn hot and sweaty for the rest of the holiday and the Western Isles now has its own permanent Ozone hole over it, sorry :cry:

1988 3.6 XJ-S coupe
'Remember that the value of your investment can plummet as well as fall'