Help! trying to change upper flap motor

Moderators: dhdove, davidr, BigCatXJS

mark8jagman

Postby mark8jagman » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:37 pm

Hi, The upper flap motor on the heater of my celebration convertible has finally given up.
I've found a replacement but am having a hell of a job replacing it!
Has anybody ever done this or can give me any advice?
You can easily remove the front screw through the hole left by removing the instrument panel,but the screw at the back is impossible to see let alone remove and refit ,due to a reinforcing butress welded to the bulkhead right next to the motor.
Anyone done it or know any tricks?
Managed to get it out now with a bit of brute force,by bending the bracket a bit.Was worth while as the were a couple of teeth missing on the little plastic gears.
Trying to get it back now! Don't ever want to do this again!! :D

greeban

Postby greeban » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:16 am

Probably easier and quicker to take the dash out - replaced the evaporator on my car and getting the dash out was quite straightforward. Took the op to takeout one of the fnas that was squeaking and it was still a pain (putting it politely) with the dash out! My top flap is sticking - LOL

masterb

Postby masterb » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:15 pm

Not sure if this is the same thing, but i need to get into the blower? anyway its the thing thats got a board inside it where the diode blows.
I think you need to take out the dash for that.

Anyway the point i was trying to get at, is if anyone has done this already, and photographed the process whilst doing the removal .
Can you please post them on here.

Anyone else think this is a good idea? that whenever one of us does a job, photograph it in stages showing how it was done.
Then othere have a more visual guide to some of the repairs and jobs.

p.s. i love playing with sticky flaps :!: :wink:

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:05 am

Documentation can never be a bad idea.

Every job I do gets photographed and written up. This is for my own records but is useful to other members if they have to do a similar job and are unsure what is involved.

Many of the articles that appear in the S-type Forum pages come from my own library. I`ve also tried to encourage other members to do the same. Nigel and I welcome such copy and pictures.

Occasionally members will post similar write ups with pics on our various model BB`s on this Club site. It is good to see such things happening. The biggest problem with this site is learning its quirks and managing to upload ones material onto this site. The process is somewhat cranky to say the least and one needs to have a Private Pilots Licence and 4 o`levels in IT before one is qualified and experienced enough to achieve a success on postings of a complicated nature. Hopefully this will be easier for numpties like myself when the new Club Web site becomes live.

Definately a good idea.

Mike

greeban

Postby greeban » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:56 am

I am sorry I did not take many photos when I removed the dash. The only difficult part I seem to remember was removing the driver's airbag! Had to make up a special socket to fit the wind in screw to disable the bag. Got it off OK but then my device worked only once so could not unscrew and re-arm so refitted and left unarmed until i can get the correct tool. Cannot see anywhere where you can hire it out from?
Probably will have a look again at it when I return from hols - if I do I will take some pictures!

dhdove

Postby dhdove » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:57 pm

mrb39

Good news!
No need to remove the dash to work on the heater fan units. Both can be removed with a minimum of stripping down (drop down panel for vision). You may even be able to get them out without removing anything, I can't remember.

The fan units are held in with three 10mm bolts which are accessible if awkward with a standard, pref 1/4 drive, socket set. Disconnect the blue rubbery pipes to the air con unit and when you put the box back in ensure the top flap isn't fouling. The Darlington resistor is riveted inside the fan box - do be careful not to break the clips when you prize this apart.

That's a whistle stop tour but it really isn't a difficult job, the worse bit is pushing yourself into the footwell far enough to be able to see whats going on!

Good Luck
Tony-
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.

masterb

Postby masterb » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Cheers Mr dove thats great news! :D
I had seen other post suggesting you need to take the dash out and really did not fancy that.
I will have a go at tackling that job some time soon, although with an imminent house move that could be later rather than sooner.
Thanks again.
PaulB.
P.s. i will make sure i have camera to hand when i do it.

masterb

Postby masterb » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:24 am

Help!

Ok had a go removing fan blower in drivers side and ended up with a sore neck and quite :x

I have taken off 2 bolts holding the fan, and four nuts holding the fan to a brass coloured plate to which the fuse panel is mounted.
also removed most of the plugs to the fuse panel to allow a bit more movement.

Also released the squashy blue duct, and the small vacuum pipe.

The damn thing still does not want to come free! :!: :evil:
What is holding it in place? :?:
Seems to possibly be something at the top.
I will go and take some pics, if i can find the camera.

Do you have to remove the windscreen wiper assembly? to get to the upper channel?
looking up the foot well there looks like there is some kind of opening or something in the fire wall in about that location.

iain1980

Postby iain1980 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:17 pm

To get it out you have to hold or chock the bottom flap open (it closes the top flap).

Fun isn't it?

Also I thought there was three bolts holding it in?, I definately removed the dials(drivers side) and glovebox (pssenger side) for access.
'93 4.0 Auto Coupe Flamenco Red.