XE S

Moderator: JohninBham

poprivet

XE S

Postby poprivet » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:03 pm

I am guilty of being critical of the XE since it was launched, mainly as it wouldn't be suitable my personal everyday use.

However, I am becoming aware just how affordable the S model is becoming (Supercharged V6 3.0 engine). Someone has taken a massive hit in depreciation to the point where two year old Jaguar approved used models are now suprisingly affordable, and ones without the manufacturers support are even cheaper.

Certainly it could be a possible replacement for my XJ-S considering how well the F Types are holding their price. The downside I guess is that XE values will continue to drop just as the X and S Types have done before it.

Obviously we're a long way from any sort of classic staus but surely the 3.0 V6 will end up being more desirable then a salesmans battered diesel? Maybe one to take care of and hold onto long term.
1988 3.6 XJ-S coupe
'Remember that the value of your investment can plummet as well as fall'

Tintin

Re: XE S

Postby Tintin » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:24 pm

Depends on your definition of "surprisingly affordable" Pop.

Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:55 am

I really like driving my XE S. It's responsive, fun and has a decent, if firmish, ride whilst not being an overly large car. However, even I can't muster a financial case that suggests it will be a good long term investment, at least not this side of the next millennium! Jaguar has made simply far too many XEs even if only a relatively small proportion are the XE S model. The chances are that the XE S model may decline less quickly than the diesel but IMHO that's as far as it will go. Please prove me wrong! :D Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S

poprivet

Postby poprivet » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:32 pm

It certainly isn't an investment, just a depreciating asset like all cars. My point was what other 2 year old premium, high specification, 380BHP car can you buy, manufacturers approved, for less then £30k.

Now £30k may, or may not be a large amount of money. That depends upon someones personal circumstances but if kept long term an S could be a lot of fun.

I've had my XJS for 20 years and that's the sort of scenario I was thinking off.
1988 3.6 XJ-S coupe
'Remember that the value of your investment can plummet as well as fall'

[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi Guy's
I've not been on the website for a while, so have just come across your thoughts of the XEs running & buying one.
I came across a 2year old XEs with 9000 miles on the clock ( I live in Jersey CI).
The original cost of the car with the extras ( ex demo, so was loaded) was 50k, I picked the car up for 30k, for me that's a bargain.
As Mike says, it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it & I get a lot of admirers & favourable comments
I intend to keep the car long term, but investment, probably not!!

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:57 am

15 months later, mine is still putting a smile on my face. If anything, I like the car's basics even more. The electronic toys, self-parking and the like, you can keep! Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S