Daimler sovereign series 1 carpets

Moderator: XjRestorations

jagmanuk

Daimler sovereign series 1 carpets

Postby jagmanuk » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:35 pm

I need to replace the over carpets (not the soundproofing) on my Daimler, the carpet on the drivers side has a heel pad which more or less covers about half of the carpet. The carpet guy I am talking to says it is not original but I am convinced it is. I think modern trimmers only consider the jaguar model as being correct and I think this has a smaller heel pad. Any ideas or are there any original brochures which have interior pictures showing the carpet?

mike020150

Re: Daimler sovereign series 1 carpets

Postby mike020150 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:08 am

Series 1 Jaguar and Daimler models had the same part numbers for carpets which had large plastic heel pads fitted to them. I recall series 2 cars had different slightly smaller plastic heel pads (plus a one piece driver's side carpet) and consequently different part numbers from the series 1 cars. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:52 pm

Hi,
I have a 73/74 (can't remember but on an M plate - only had it about 40 years) Series 2 XJ 12. with the original carpets still in place. There certainly is a vinyl/plastic smooth surface heel pad stitched on to the carpet. As for the dimensions, I don't have a clue but quite large. If essential I'll lower the car which is stored up on a four post lift and give you the exact measurements.

Regards

Oldtimer

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:54 pm

PS to above, Mine is a Jaguar not a Daimler

jagmanuk

Postby jagmanuk » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:22 pm

Thanks for the info guys, It will need to be for the Daimler version because I think it is more 'plush' all round. What I really need is a photo taken from the drivers side door if at all possible. I have tried to attach a photo of my existing ones
Cheers in advance for any help
Mike

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:21 pm

I don't want to burst any bubbles but the differences as revealed in the parts books of the time, between the Daimler and Jaguar versions were miniscule. We are talking about 1970's badge engineering at its best (from a Daimler owner)! The Jaguar and Daimler (not Van Den Plas) carpets were identical. Mike.

jagmanuk

Postby jagmanuk » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:03 pm

So are the carpets in the picture original? I am not a purist and will buy whatever is available for the car. I just thought I would get the correct ones - if they are available (and I am reasonably sure mine are original) The ones I have seen offered only have what you would call a small square for the heel pad but mine as you can see covers over half of the carpet :D
Attachments
Offside Driver and passenger carpets.JPG
Picture of Off side carpets looking from the front)

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:15 pm

That definitely looks like the original style fitted to my Series 1 (no longer owned by me). Series 2's had smaller heel pads and the driver's carpet was in one piece, not two. Series 3's have a third type of heel pad design. I have seen aftermarket carpets advertised as fitting all three models of series cars. Without doubt, these kits must move away from at least two of the original patterns of carpets/heel pads. Mike.

dg4cars

Postby dg4cars » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:33 pm

I also have a Series 1 Daimler Sovereign. The heel pad existed as seen in your photo, the trimmer who refitted carpets a few years ago fitted a slightly shorter heel pad. Tbh I always have an over mat on top of the carpets.

Really it is down to personal choice, comfort, safety etc. My brakes have been upgraded, electronic ignition installed also . Now just about to upgrade the lighting to Led's.

Whilst I like to try and keep the car as original as possible, reality takes over.........