Headliner Board Replacement

Moderator: XjRestorations

Meonstoke

Headliner Board Replacement

Postby Meonstoke » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:01 pm

Hi,

Looking for some advice please regarding the options on finding a replacement to the original headliner (card) board on my LWB S1/S2. My car no longer has the original headliner board. The ideal solution would be to source a used headliner board that is still re-usable, but given that'll be like finding Hen's teeth I figure I only have 2 options open to me:
1) Fit a quality thick foam pad base (to which the actual cloth is glued) via a reputable trimmer, or
2) Fit a replacement GRP headliner board ( e.g. as supplied by www.jagheadlinings.com); to which the cloth is applied by a good trimmer and fitted by them.

For Option 1, I have heard that the sound insulation is not as good as an original headliner fibre board (that has not yet crumbled.... )
But for Option 2, I have heard that some GRP replacement boards "creak" and perhaps don't provide much better sound insulation anyway? My thinking was if I chose the GRP route that I could apply sound insulation material on the top side, and on the lower side, make use of a high quality and thick foam base to which the cloth headlining would be applied.

Q1: Any thoughts on the above options, or other suggestions ?
Q3: Anybody with experience of the GRP headling boards, and do they "creak" ?
Q:2 Does anyone have any experience of the headling GRP board at Jaguar Headlinings?

Thanks.
M.

mike020150

Re: Headliner Board Replacement

Postby mike020150 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:45 am

Whilst it may not be what you want to hear, no one seems to have come up with the perfect answer to this problem which afflicts all XJ model variations throughout their illustrious history. I am sure some forum contributors will be able to comment on their personal experiences but, as you hint, there has been a fair amount of criticism of the replacement head linings not lasting as long as the originals! If you solve the issue, it would be good to hear your secret. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S

RichardSEL

Postby RichardSEL » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:22 pm

Prices have fallen for the replacement head lining cards pre-fabricated:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headliner-fo ... 1438.l2649

£35 for p&p sounds a bit much

Having LWB you should be able to get it in without undue bending / folding. SWB cars may need a rear window out and / or front drivers' or pax seat removal

There's a good American video of removing roof's anciliaries and either sticking back the existing with heat resistant aerosol glue, or replacing with fresh fabric. I can't find the video's URL now. But the site you mention does have a downloadable .pdf for install notes. I found the correct fabric colour and texture cheap in one of the sari-type fabric shops in downtown Lewisham.

The thickness of foam you use depends on the tuck-in needed underneath / around the anciliaries

Although my X308's Sport headlining has a little droop toward the front it's not bothering me. So since last summer didn't do anything about it.
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
In trim shop for total refurb: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Stalled in storage '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

Meonstoke

Postby Meonstoke » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:55 pm

Thanks Mike & Richard for your thoughts.

Will keep the forum updated on my eventual solution.

M.

richardpierce

Postby richardpierce » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:02 am

I purchased a GRP board from Myrtle and a headlining kit from Aldridge Trimming

Went in really well and also gave some flexibility when fitting

I'm told is may smell of resin the first time the car roof gets hot with the sun but I'll have to report back on that !

I'll post photos shortly

Thanks
Richard

RichardSEL

Postby RichardSEL » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:48 am

Pix yes please !

Do you have the LWB or SWB?

Myrtle's a good site to know. But they're at +£30 over the eBay one, and their shipping's +£10 too
Myrtle's in Ramsgate, the £135 eBay source is closer to me in mid-Kent

I'm assuming both are GRP
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
In trim shop for total refurb: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Stalled in storage '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

moznotwoz

Postby moznotwoz » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum malarkey however I have a question that I'm sure will get everyone else yawning but it appears that a straight answer is very difficult to obtain hence I've come to the alter of everything Jag with the hope I can get an answer based on experience rather than opinion!
So here's my question; Jaguar x300 head lining, which one. Grp flexible or Grp reinforced?
Now I anticipate I'm going to get a few opinions in the mix and also people wondering what I'm talking about so ill expand slightly. I have after a number of months regretting selling my pristine xjr that my car port needs another cat in it. After subjecting myself to evry selling site known to man and the charlatans who frequent them selling their tat, I finally found myself dealing with a genuine guy who's advert was hiding in a spurious small ad and he was tired dealing with people with champagne taste but turning up with fizzy water money along with the usual stupid questions like 'what does it do to the gallon and why are you selling it' as well as the usual stupid statements such as 'Ill have to speak to my mum or wife and see what she says'!!! Yes they're all out there and I have to deal with most of them daily unfortunately however I digress. So here is the issue. The guy had had the headliner redone approx 3 months prior in oatmeal and I have to say the finish and fit was exceptional however 3 days ago I came out to find that the material has come completely away from the backing board, which, after examining it does appear to be new and made of fibre. Closer examination would suggest that the board / material is all new and has been fitted into the car not simply a new material fitted in situ which has been suggested.
So with this in mind and the fact that although the seller has offered to get the car back to the guy who did it ( I'm not prepared to do 350 road trip for a headliner ) I'm going to replace the headliner with a new one myself but this in turn has given me a further dilemma. After doing extensive research it appears that there are two main players for replacement headlining's. Both companies trade under two or three different guises and both guys are really pleasant to talk to, I know as they have both given me more than enough of their time on the phone but I'm still no wiser as to which way to go. One states is flexible / foldable lining does what it says on the tin, can be fitted without any drama and he hasn't had any 'real' problems with dissatisfied customers and the other states that he uses grp but reinforces it which in turn necessitates the removal of the rear screen to allow fitment as it will not roll like his competitors product. He states that if the foldable headliner is fitted, they in time, will bow in the middle as they are not rigid enough to stay formed to the roof and due to the backing board being so thin and the void between the roof and the liner being fairly sizeable (hence people complaining about the poor sound deadening when done) it will eventually bow downwards. This sort of makes sense to me and the additional £75 to have the rear screen removed and refitted by my glass guy isn't really an issue but its a cost I could put into something else on the car if its not really needed. Those of you who have used these guys will know exactly who they are and out of respect I'm not going to name them here as they where both very courteous on the phone.
Doing any part of the job is well within my remit but I am not looking to build concourse car although the car is original and quite simply in stunning condition for its age.
So that's my question, which ones have you fitted and who's do you recommend. I don't want to be removing drivers rear door to fit a genuine one (even if I could find one) or spending money on a trimmer to try and recover a genuine backing board as the general consensus is that it will invariably sag again and further more trying to find any tradesmen in the northwest is like trying to find someone who actually thinks Donald trumps hair is his own!
Thanks for your help in advance