seating

Moderators: GJS-typeR, Montana5

bryan13

seating

Postby bryan13 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:50 pm

does any one know if its possible to change the back rest from a passenger seat for a drivers seat just a thought because my drivers seat is badly worn on bolster
2005 s type 2.7 diesel Se by far best so far
2001 x type 2.5 petrol sport
L reg xj sov 4.0
F reg xj sov 3.6
a reg xjs v12

J44EAG

Re: seating

Postby J44EAG » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:18 pm

I`ll do a spot of investigation on this.

What type of wear have you? Is it a hole in the leather. Patch kits are available.

If just worn down colour and general cracking of the surface and the leather beneath is sound, an easy restore kit is available from companies such as Furniture Clinic. A colour trim code, ie three letters may be found on the A post inside the door shut on the front passenger side. Order the kit for around £16 and you can sort out scuffs, cracking and worn colour. Not that difficult and good results are quickly achieved.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

bryan13

Postby bryan13 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:50 pm

hi mike bad wearing on the back rest bolster cushion where you brush against it getting in and out spoke to furniture clinic who suggested the kit i would need would be £80 and elbow grease to do the job properly ie removing old colouring and renewing because of black scuffs where as i can pick up a complete good condition passenger seat for £70 and if i can strip and change backrest and have spare motors and such just wondered if the backrests were interchangeable does seem hard to find a good drivers seat thanks bryan
L reg xj sov 4.0
F reg xj sov 3.6
a reg xjs v12

bryan13

Postby bryan13 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:00 pm

sorry forgot to say its a late s type 2006
L reg xj sov 4.0
F reg xj sov 3.6
a reg xjs v12

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:53 pm

How much!!!!

This is the kit I bought some years back for £16! The price has now doubled.! That kit was large enough to do at least two car interiors with and have fluids to spare. At one time I found a car colour chart for the Jaguar range. The three letter code was listed and I just went ahead, bought it and had the complete car leather cleaned, recoloured and sealing in less than twelve hours including drying time. I recall I wrote an article for the magazine detailing the process but can`t remember in which issue. It wasn`t difficult at all. Use gloves when applying the dye. It really sticks to skin!

http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Leathe ... nt_Kit.php

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

bryan13

Postby bryan13 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:19 pm

that looks like a plan mike now you found a more realistic price i will give that a go just wondering what finish to get found the colour code but don't know the finish on the seats semi matt maybe
L reg xj sov 4.0
F reg xj sov 3.6
a reg xjs v12

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:29 pm

I would suggest you clean all seats to begin with using the fluid supplied with the kit. Before you clean take a look at leather which has not been the subject of heavy wear and note whether it is matt, semi gloss or full gloss. That might help you decide which is appropriate.

From experience full gloss is rather too much visually. A satin type semi gloss might suit your purpose. Matting down can be attempted once the surface finish has dried out for a few days. A fine Scotchbite pot scourer pad is effective in reducing an over vibrant finish.

Leather is very forgiving and repairs and refinishes quite easily provided that the person doing the job has patience and a useful degree of dexterity and attention to detail.

The cleaner is quite interesting stuff. It gets the muck off and you will find it softens the colouring which can be "moved around" That is normal. Having let it dry, you apply new dye as required and let dry. Two coats may be needed. After that on goes the sealer and the finish.

I think you will be very pleasantly suprised how easily this work can be done.

Note that with the very soft and supple Autolux premium leather as typically found in a Daimler Super V8, the material needs a different cleaning kit than the one we had discussed here.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

bryan13

Postby bryan13 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:35 am

thanks for your help mike will have a go at it next couple of weeks and let you know how i get on
L reg xj sov 4.0
F reg xj sov 3.6
a reg xjs v12