New "Grand Piano Black" for my S-Type

Moderators: GJS-typeR, Montana5

Ladams

New "Grand Piano Black" for my S-Type

Postby Ladams » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:44 pm

I thought I would share these picture with you of the refurbished interior of my S-Type.

I bought a complete second hand set of used interior panels on Ebay for £30 and sent them away to be painted and lacquered in "Grand Piano Black"

I think this brings the interior a bit more up to date. I kept the old interior in case things didn't work out, but as you can see, it works rather well i think.

Cost: Panels £30 on Ebay. £275 to spray and lacquer and £150 to have it all swapped over. Obviously this would be a much cheaper job if you DIY. but it is amazing what a bit of paint can do! :-)

Les Adams
Fron LH comp.jpg
From RH comp.jpg
Door panel comp.jpg

J44EAG

Re: New "Grand Piano Black" for my S-Type

Postby J44EAG » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:53 pm

Very smart indeed, Les. Nice one.

Now your problem is stopping people wanting to touch your pristine paint with their ear wax covered fingers! New paint is just so invitingly tactile that people just HAVE to touch and feel it. My biggest problem when I do paint or glass fibre gel coat repairs. Its a lost battle even when you ask people NOT to touch new work.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

Ladams

Postby Ladams » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:02 pm

Hi Mike,

I have a taser in the center console and will use it if necessary :D

Fortunately I don't carry passengers very often and NEVER children!

My partner Jackie knows not to touch ... But I do keep a microfiber cleaning cloth alongside the taser!

Les.

Ladams

Postby Ladams » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:09 am

Wider shot to show full effect....
Wide shot from right comp.jpg

jeff1954

Postby jeff1954 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:02 pm

Hi Ladams Is there any veneer effect on this trim now or is it just black.

Jeff
S Type 2.7d SE Auto

Ladams

Postby Ladams » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi Jeff,

No, all the wood has been replaced by Black.

I bought a standard set of panels second hand on Ebay and sent them to "Trim-Star" in Colchester. They manly do Bentley and Rang Rover custom interiors and their work is to a very high standard.

They rubbed them down and prepared them, then sprayed them black and applied several coats of lacquer. The results are stunning. They have a very deep black shine like wood and are very easily wiped clean with a microfiber cloth. No veneer involved. They can do all different finishes including carbon fibre for which they use a process called hydro-dipping. But for Grand Piano Black it is just paint and lacquer.

Les.