Scams

Moderators: dhdove, davidr, BigCatXJS

cabriolet

Scams

Postby cabriolet » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:45 am

Please be aware when selling items that some emails are scams. The last 2 I have posted on the JEC site quickly got a response from this person—- [email protected]. On the internet other people have warned that they have received messages from this same email address and have stated it originates from Nigeria. The 2 I have received are duplicate messages asking about price and more pictures, the only difference being the heading which is the part you are selling.
I have bought and sold many items on the JEC site but only by contacting the people direct. Very quickly you get reassurance that the person is genuine by asking questions about their background of being a Jag owner. It is worth doing a search of the email address provided before responding to it as ultimately can save you the disappointment in the long run to find out you have wasted your time.
I have posted messages about this before but it is good to have a reminder that the situation is always there.

[email protected]

Re: Scams

Postby [email protected] » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:29 am

Thanks for posting yet another scammer to add to the one claiming to be in Greece I posted about in the admin forums. Jaguar Enthusiast did publish details of a UK scammer with an outstanding Arrest on Warrant for threatening behaviour and assault against a witness (?)

There seems to be an increase in these online scams. I won't now advertise a car on eBait for the number of replies I get suggesting that they forward a "certified cashiers check" for a car sight unseen. Plus would you make the arrangements to deliver to another country. etc, etc

Just put our Volvo V40 on both Car & Classic and Classic Cars for Sale. Within an hour got an email back from a gmail account asking me how long I'd owned it, bla bla...

Details of the City of London's Action Fraud website in the original threads. And at:
https://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/advi ... fraud.aspx

Although for the last I reported, where perp said was in Greece, I didn't even get an email acknowledgement

[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:34 am

More about Action Fraud and national Police forces' (well 11 of them surveyed anyway) refusal to action incidents under the Fraud Act 2006 in the Admin forums that I can't somehow now access again

mwsmith29

Postby mwsmith29 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:38 pm

There are lots of scammers on the classified ads section.
Today I have had a message from Nicole Curtis <[email protected]> also. And recently David Moga <[email protected]> and Frank Anderson <[email protected]> All sent poorly worded emails and a quick google search of their e-mail addresses locates multiple reports of these scammers.
Red XJS 4.0 coupe 1991(101K)
White 1992 XJS v12 conv (27K),
Blue 2015 XE 2.0 prestige

RedE

Postby RedE » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:21 am

[email protected]
is still trying to scam. I have a couple of ads on another website and the replies are "copy and paste" with the usual grammatical errors.