Headlining

Moderator: Art1012

vrjaguar

Headlining

Postby vrjaguar » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi to everyone

I own a Series 3 E type 2+2 and I would like to know if it is possible to to replace the headlining without removing the front windscreen? If it is possible could you inform me of the procedure.

PhilBell

Re: Headlining

Postby PhilBell » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:52 pm

If it's like my S1 fhc, with the headlining glued to the roof panel, and the edges tucked beneath a trimmed cantrail, then it can be done without windscreen removal.

And it's not all that difficult to do.

I can post my method if it helps.
Phil Bell
1962 fixed head coupé

vrjaguar

Postby vrjaguar » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:25 am

Thanks for the info Phil

Like you I am not sure if the S1 and S3 replacement is identical, but I would appreciate your methodology for undertaking the task. At least it will give me a starting point if they are not exactly identical.

PhilBell

Postby PhilBell » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:44 pm

So, this is what worked on my S1 fhc:

1. Peel away the roof lining, pulling the edges from under the cantrails. Because my headlining was in good condition I wanted to re-use it, so I left the front edge tucked beneath the windscreen cantrail.
2. Use plenty of clean cloths dampened with white spirit to soften and gently rub away the old adhesive from the back of the headlining and the foam stuck to the roof panel. Leave overnight with the windows down and a fan running in the boot to thoroughly dry out.
3. Mask off the car interior including the cantrails and the outer edge of the headlining where it will tuck into the cantrails.
4. Use masking tape to attach a thin bamboo pole across the rear edge of the roof lining so that the material doesn't try to fold up on itself.
5. Lightly and evenly spray the roof foam and the upper side of the headlining with high temperature contact adhesive (I bought mine from Wayside Adhesives in Nottingham). Leave until tacky.
6. Have your long-suffering assistant hold the roof lining under light tension using the bamboo pole, so that the material angles slightly down from the roof.
7. Starting from the centre of the windscreen cantrail, use a wallpaper brush to gently smooth the material onto the roof, working backwards and outwards to avoid bubbles.
8. Once the material is fully stuck down, trim off any large excess from the edges, leaving a couple of inches of material to tuck into the cantrails using a slim, smooth-edged plastic device like a credit card or filler applicator.
9. Remember to breathe out afterwards.

Hope that's helpful.
Last edited by PhilBell on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Bell
1962 fixed head coupé

vrjaguar

Postby vrjaguar » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:28 pm

Thanks Phil for the information it sounds easier than I am sure it was. From your comments it sounds like a jod best undertaken with plenty of fresh air.

PhilBell

Postby PhilBell » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:44 am

Yes, I wore a mask and used a large desk fan to push fresh air through the car.

I'd say the job was 80-90% preparation, 10-20% skill.