Fitting modern seats

Moderator: Art1012

JerryL770

Fitting modern seats

Postby JerryL770 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:23 pm

My recent acquisition of a 1970 Series 2 coupe is undergoing restoration including the original seats.

But as it will be easier now than when finished, I'm considering fitting more modern seats with proper height head restraints and better support.

Has anyone done this and if so, using seats from what car? I'm informed that Mazda MX5 seats could be a goer.

Thanks, Jerry.
JerryL
1970 E-Type S2 FHC. Dark Blue with Red interior. MX5 seats
Ariel Leader returned to the road since 1974 - now passed to someone more enthusiastic :)
Various R/C flying models

Kember

Re: Fitting modern seats

Postby Kember » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:23 pm

Jerry,

The problem is the sharp angle at the front of the seat to accommodate the transmission tunnel bell.

Yes, MX5 Mk 1 and 2 for sure. I think the Mk3 might be too wide. There is a wide range of seats, some of which have speakers in the headrests. Most executions have had the seats re-trimmed.

I don't know if I'm allowed to mention the E Type Forum here, but there are a couple of posts there with the "how to" instructions to fit the seats to floors of the E Type.

I dimly recall one Porsche "tombstone" (1970s 911 or 924?) implementation and also the use of aftermarket bucket seats so beloved of the 70's.

HTH

Peter
Peter

1966 Series 1 E Type 2+2
1995 XJR6

JerryL770

Postby JerryL770 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:40 pm

Thank you Peter, though I'm surprises and even a little pleased to find a response after several months. I will try to find your referred to posts.

However, since asking the question I have reversed the decision after trying some re-upholstered standard seats and also trying a pair of MX5 seats in the car before it was painted. My restorer (The Splined Hub) were reluctant to do the modifications that seemed likely to be needed to the cross member under the front of the seats in order to get the seat position needed for mounting and achieving headroom.

So my original seats are being re-trimmed in red leather. Unfortunately I cannot see how the work is going to be finished in time for my birthday in two weeks time :( I keep being assured that it will be, but there is a lot of work to do and this is not being done by the SOS-Car team who seem to be able to re-assemble an e-type over night!!
JerryL
Ariel Leader returned to the road since 1974 - now passed to someone more enthusiastic :)

JerryL770

Postby JerryL770 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:32 pm

A long time ago now, I solved this with advice from the E-type forum.

I purchased a pair of Mk 1 Mazda MX-5 seats off eBay for the princely sum of £60, in quite good condition, complete with runners, though they are not used.

I also purchased a set of mounting brackets from Fosseway Performance. Then I bought leather and vinyl from BAS to match the interior trim of my car and took the seats and leather to AutoTrim Systems in Leicester for re-trimming. That cost me £200 + vat each seat. There's lots of trimmers around who can do this sort of work.

The runners are removed from both the MX-5 and the E-type seats. The Fosseway mounting brackets are bolted to the MX-5 seats and then the E-type runners fitted to the brackets. It is difficult to position the runners which then would be attached in the normal way to the car floor as there is adjustment allowance in the mounting holes of the brackets and it's not possible to leave 'em loose, fit in the car and tighten the bolts in-situ. I solved this by measuring the distance between floor securing locations and fitting brackets/runners to the seats accordingly - tight. It's possible to eye up the rear securing hole locations in the runners when the seat runners are into the front locating lugs, to then take the seat out again and adjust the runner position slightly to allow the bolt to fit.
JerryL