Shoddy Paintwork

Moderator: jagmanvaughn

2Jag1959

Shoddy Paintwork

Postby 2Jag1959 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:38 pm

Advise please

Purchased a vehicle back in March, took it back to the main dealer three weeks later due too ripples in the paintwork around the doors.

Was assured it most likely left the factory like it, when my vehicle required its annual service i asked my local dealer to have it rectified under warranty. Jaguar response has been that parts of car have been resprayed at some point, now they should have know about this as it was one of there own VIP vehicles.

I have tried speaking to the main Jaguar dealer I purchased the vehicle from including sending them an email, to date i have had no response to my email or proposal to remedy the problem

Now do I go public and shame the dealer, or seek a legal route for compensation

4jagsjohn

Re: Shoddy Paintwork

Postby 4jagsjohn » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:06 am

Adding for what it's worth I have and still own several Jaguars all different models including an x350. I had paintwork done under warranty several times and some has reappeared now the warranty has run out. Some of which I put down to poor workmanship. I could write a book on the poor and sometimes dreadful altercations I have had with both Jaguar customer services and dealers and only own these cars because of a love for them I developed when I got my E type. I don't think you can shame a dealership myself as I have never been able to. Good luck anyway. P.S. The only people who win I your try the legal route are the lawyers from my own experience.

jagmanvaughn

Postby jagmanvaughn » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:16 am

I would go in to the Dealership and show them your concerns and compare this against the Jaguar Approved Used checks they are meant to undertake before selling the car.

If it is more cost effective rather than going through the stress and hassle, then you could always look to get it rectified yourself.

Let us know how you get on.
Jaguar IPace EV400 2019
Jaguar XJL Autobiography 3L 2016

Previous cars
Jaguar F Type V8 5L 2013
Jaguar XK8 4.2 2002
Jaguar XJ12 6.0 1996

RichardSEL

Postby RichardSEL » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:26 am

Once you're convinced you've exhaused the direct dealer approach then you should advise them that you are dissatisfied, and taking the matter further. You intend to retain the services of a qualified automotive assessor who will produce an unbiassed report on the condition of your paintwork. I did not meet mine. If they need to have a representative present at the same time would they let you know?

I've had to use the services of AIA in the past. I got a very knowledgeable chap who was timed-served in a paint shop / body shop and so was practically as well as whatever written examinations are needed for that trade. Not cheap, you will have to pay upfront their fee. Mine cost £300 +VAT last year.
Direct desk: [email protected]

Subsequent to that, if they still won't put right what should've been put right in the first place you will need three quotations from other, independant shops. These should confirm that their work specification quote is as the assessor requires in his report. Once you have those you forward them to the dealer advising the date that you intend to put the car into your selected indie shop

Selling you a car with defective paintwork with ripples and then claiming that it came out of the factory like that is no defence. They are the ones selling the car, they are the ones you have a reasonable expectation of a car that is of "merchantable quality", they are the ones you have a sales contract with, not the factory.

Hope that un-qualified view helps?
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
In trim shop for total refurb: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Stalled in storage '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

2Jag1959

Postby 2Jag1959 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:44 am

Thank you all for your responses. i'll let you know how it goes