Rear Subframe corrosion

Moderators: mike020150, valr

karga

Re: Rear Subframe corrosion

Postby karga » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:41 pm

That's great news about the Bulletin (SSM 74031)

Just rung local dealership and lodged a complaint about the subframe, Car booked in for 16th January.

Will let you know how I get on

Roy

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:50 pm

Excellent. It will be interesting to learn how the dealer interprets the advice from Jaguar. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S

Bearcat

Postby Bearcat » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:06 pm

My F-TYPE is at my local dealer today for an inspection of the subframe corroded areas that were previously reported in August 2018. Told at the time that it was nothing to worry about as it is normal for an F-TYPE. I have drawn their attention to SSM 74031. I will report back when I have some news.

12?03/2019. Phoned dealer who confirmed work approved by JLR and they are awaiting parts to arrive along with parts for another couple of F-TYPE's with the same problem. Informed them that I have just taken delivery of a new F-TYPE and that they now own the car in question. I'll be keeping an eye on my new car in case of a repeat problem.
Last edited by Bearcat on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:59 pm

Interesting - with Jaguar's financial woes, cost-cutting programme and redundancies, the chances are that all claims will meet with at least an initial degree of resistance. Or, am I being too cynical? Mike.

karga

Postby karga » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:58 pm

Car examined by local dealer on 16th January as planned. Lots of photos taken of which they copied to me.
Dealership at least acknowledged that it was not acceptable and photos have been sent to Jaguar.
They tell me it could take up to 6 weeks before I get an answer.

Will report when/if I get an answer.

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:10 pm

Progress of a sort. Please keep us posted on developments. Mike.

RichardSEL

Postby RichardSEL » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:11 pm

They tell me it could take up to 6 weeks before I get an answer.
Will report when/if I get an answer.
6 weeks. Six weeks? What are they doing with them? Sticking them on a wall and going "Oh, look!" anytime someone passes? Tell them you want their reply in 14 days -- otherwise they'll be hearing from your assessor without any further notice. And place them on notice of your assessor's costs at the same time.
There's many decent helpful people in dealerships for you not to have to put up with "you'll have to wait six weeks before you get an answer". <sheeesh!>

Lexus / Toyota et al wouldn't even dream of saying something like that. Mind you, they'd probably not have the issue in the first place.

That's how I feel about the retort -- well done so far in your perseverence though :idea:
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
In trim shop for total refurb: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Stalled in storage '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

karga

Postby karga » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:59 pm

Still waiting

Jaguar now want to know the following:-

1. Did I purchase it from a Jaguar Approved Garage ?
2. How long have I owned it ?
3. How many previous vehicles have I owned ?

What the ****** ??

Raymond007

Postby Raymond007 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:35 am

Hi !

Beats me why some dealerships are making such a meal of this. Admittedly my car was supplied new and has been religiously maintained by my local main dealership (Harwoods of Chichester) but having read various articles in the mag, at the annual service in November 2018 ( at 3,900 miles) I suggested we had a good look at the cross braces and rear sub frame area in general. Frankly there were only a few very light stone chips but none the less without any drama or discussion the replacement parts were ordered (at that time they were on back order I believe) and on New Year's Eve they were duly fitted, along with very detailed cleaning and subsequent waxoyling of the entire area, all without any question of charge. The result is first class and the replacement parts are now zinc coated before painting so this hopefully has resolved the problem which to be blunt is solely down to sub standard finish of the original fittings. I think this issue underlines the importance of a close relationship with your local dealership and being with one which cares about each individual customer, fighting your corner where necessary. I am aware that there remain some large corporates out there who somehow have never totally taken this on board. If you are still having issues with this or other problems and are not too far distant I would suggest contacting Harwoods of Chichester may prove to be a good move.

RichardSEL

Postby RichardSEL » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:18 am

Still waiting
Jaguar now want to know the following:-
1. Did I purchase it from a Jaguar Approved Garage ?
2. How long have I owned it ?
3. How many previous vehicles have I owned ?
What the ****** ??
I'm sorry you accepted their "six week" waiting. These questions are just attempts at trying to find fault with your replies so they can further delay. Don't answer. Just tell them that you're asking an approved independant assessor to contact them directly about the issue. And you will not be replying to anymore waste-of-time correspondance without the benefit of their report.

I've used AIA before. They've just been down to see a Range Rover of mine. Cost £150 +VAT. Reclaimable but haven't got that far yet (workshop used a cheeepo Chinese clone of a part but invoiced me OEM price as OEM part)
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
In trim shop for total refurb: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Stalled in storage '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:26 am

Karga... It's ex-RichardSEL here...

As it's been nearly a month now, any progress on your claim?

Good calm advice from Raymond above IMO. Before returning to the JLR fold was a VW freak -- Passats to be precise. My fathers snub-nose B3 went on to over 100k without major incident; my B5.5 (one year old) bought from local main dealer was awful; traded that up to a B6 (one year old) from a huge dealership in Wales (who ripped me off coz I followed their service schedule). But eventually got my warranty recalls done at a main dealer in Sevenoaks
that couldn't do enough for me [free coffee!]

Point being as Raymond says, it's not the dealership but the staff at that dealership that matters. Broadcasting in here a Harwoods of Chichester's good report will pay them dividends. And us. Were I in the market for another Jag then they'd be at least worth a look coz of what's been posted

karga

Postby karga » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:16 pm

Hi Richard
Chased the dealer up last week and they Promised to chase Jaguar again. No response yet, looks like they’ve gone cold on me.
Time to start banging the drum I think.
Roy

[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:21 pm

Hi All,

New to the forum; just thought I'd post my experience with this particular issue.

5 weeks ago around 12th March, my 13 plate V8S convertible under extended warranty, went in for a service (+ repair of the driver's seat which was loose and faulty steering wheel controls) at Inchcape Guildford.

I informed them I was concerned about the rust on the underside of the vehicle and also at that point notified them of the bulletin regarding this, which I'm sure they were already aware of. Initially, the dealership very quickly mentioned that there was significant rust to the rear subframe and also the braces after their own technicians looked into it.

My car had then been passed to a third party (approved retailer) without my knowledge to inspect the problem and advise. During these weeks, i've had various emails all of the same nature to say that it's with Jaguar Goodwill department and due to all the "paperwork" they have had to send numerous photos. They also asked me all of the absurd questions which another user mentioned above.

After numerous conversations, both the dealership and the independent approved bodywork shop have explicitly stated that the rear subframe must be replaced and not repaired as the rust will simply continue to corrode thereafter and also that it would be a safety issue.

Inchcape Guildford finally came back to me today via email to say that Goodwill have advised to replace the braces and not to replace the subframe but to "repair" it - ie. de-rust and treat it. In the latest email, the dealer have even said that they will not be able to complete Jaguar's suggested repair works as they can't do it in-house and the approved bodyshop has outright refused to do it. Not only that, they have essentially parred me off now to say I should call Jaguar directly myself.

I have done so after also tweeting them and they have been less than helpful and just reiterated what they've already said, despite very clearly explaining to them that their own dealership and an independent body have both stated that it is not suitable for repair and is a safety issue.

I am quite literally lost for words on this now and really could do with some advice on where to go next with this. Motor Ombudsman, Citizen's Advice, Small Claims Court, statement to the press?

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:33 pm

Judging from the experiences of various members, Jaguar's Customer Service department has often been the weak link in the communications chain. Consequently, my advice would be to persist with Jaguar contact requesting its help one more time. Unfortunately, dealers and others who stand to gain from doing the work, like bodyshop personnel, can be quick to condemn an individual car but slow to provide genuine support in putting forward to Jaguar a sensible case for action. For example, to take matters to Jaguar with a hope of achieving action on a car out of warranty really requires photographic and sound written evidence from appropriate experts. Faced with a well reasoned case, Jaguar usually does the right thing. Hence, if the dealer's first attempt hasn't produced results, I'd suggest asking for written statements condemning the condition of the car on safety grounds from both the dealer and the bodyshop (safety grounds being that the car is incapable of passing an MoT test or there is imminent likelihood of it). Then, I'd re-present the complete file of evidence directly to Jaguar before considering embarking on (expensive) legal action. Mike.

[email protected]

Postby [email protected] » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:16 am

Sound advice from Mike above. But you should collect all your evidence under a Data Protection Act request
For information on how to do this see the Information Commissioner's website.

Who are you dealing with? Your point of contact is the dealer Inchcape. No one else will do -- you do not have a contract of supply with Jaguar main office, "Goodwill" office, or any other office. What they do with your car, enquiry, complaint is up to them. They've accepted it as a main dealer, they and only they should be dealing with it.

Attempts whether by the dealership or Jaguar head office to place you in some kind of correspondance limbo will come to naught. Next step is to engage the services of an independant assessor who will review correspondance, examine your car and then produce a report. You should place Inchcape on notice of the costs of this in advance. I've used AIA before. They've got an assessor resident in the Guildford area that cost me £180 inc VAT

Oh, and don't be addressing letters to any "Goodwill" Department. There's no such thing. Except in the tortured minds of paper shufflers at Jaguar head office admin. desperately trying to get out of stumping up for any warranty costs -- even those agreed by their own mechanics as a reasonable repair. Otherwise it can be said you've accepted that your claim should be settled as a matter of goodwill only. And not as of right. "Goodwill" is a euphanism for "we'll fix it but we're not responsible". <pantomime mode:ON> Oh, yes they are! Oh no, we're not :mrgreen:

Good luck :!: