paint blisters on both front doors XF 2009

Moderators: Jaguar2010, mg600

gorfett

paint blisters on both front doors XF 2009

Postby gorfett » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:56 pm

I recently noticed small bubbles on the paint work of both of the front doors of my 2009 XF -S.
I spoke to jaguar and they said that it was outside the warranty of the car and basically tough.

The car is in for repair and it is going to cost my £500 to rectify the paintwork.

I had a few relatively expensive cars over the years but never had any problems with the paintwork like this.

With modern techniques employed to protect the body from this type of corrosion I did not expect to have this problem on a car of this quality and therefore I will probable shy away from buying a Jaguar in future.

J44EAG

Re: paint blisters on both front doors XF 2009

Postby J44EAG » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:09 pm

One of the reasons I dumped my 2002 early S-type. The MOT man noticed the first signs of gribble worm starting to get into the rear sill area and the front mounting points for the Y-shaped lower rear wishbones. That the car was galvanised didn`t soften the blow much. The car at the time I cut my losses was fourteen years old with 90k miles covered. No more steel cars for me from then on. I`d had enough of steel and it was the time to up-grade to something with potentially less propensity to decay as I owned it. Although I had around nine years of good use from that S-type for which I`d previously paid £8000 with 40K miles on the clock, I decided that I was pretty feed up with not only watching the car drop to a quarter of what I`d paid for it, but to add injury to insult, it was beginning to drop apart as I drove and sat in it. Needless to say, the early S-types where never the brightest button in the Jaguar box and I`ll not be owning another one due to the "economy" build.

The move to an X350R was something of a revelation. With almost identical mechanical suspension and running gear, that is where the similarity stopped. The aluminum structure didn`t creak and groan like the S-type where with somewhat stiffer springs and dampers fitted, caused the whole monocoque structure to move around on rough roads. Putting fingers in the door shuts, one could feel the whole structure moving. By comparison, there is no movement at all in a 350. It is 60% stiffer whilst at the same time being 40% lighter than the slightly comparable S-type. Not only that, but the 350 underside still looks like new and I`ve only had to treat and refinish just one small corrosion bubble on the lower edge of the O/S front wing. Only that after 100K miles hard road use and living in the open. It was a delight to discover that once the bubble had been removed, the underlying ali was in perfect condition. I`d treated much worse on light aircraft.

Jaguar have never had a good reputation for corrosion resistance with their steel cars. One only has to look at the tales of sub-frame corrosion on the F-type to realise that Jaguar take little pride in producing steel components where the finish and resistance to corrosion is lamentably poor. Sadly, that is the one bad aspect of the 350...sub-frames which are covered in corrosion and perhaps in ten years time will have reached a level which will be of concern to owners. Perhaps I shouldn`t worry about it. My XJR will probably have been part exchanged for a bath chair which I shall insist is made from epoxy and carbon fibre and be powered by my own in built hydrogen producing capacity......I`ll f##t my way to church.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR