Artura Alloys

Moderators: mg600, Jaguar2010

ktclm06

Artura Alloys

Postby ktclm06 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Greetings all,
Advice would be very much appreciated.

I need to invest in a new front alloy (Artura 19") courtesy of the cowboys who maintain Lincolnshire Highways. A repair by dealer Marshalls of Lincoln did help but as you may know the feeling "she isn't quite right" to my standards at least.

Marshalls want upwards for £500 + VAT (ouch) so I am trawling EBay and breakers in search of a bargain and not the bloody Carella wheel one pillock sent me despite an exca.

Question...I am reading during my search that the rear wheel are a different size to the front?. I assumed 19" meant all round but am now suspicious that this may not be so.

Help, advice, guidance much welcomed!.

Keith T.

Brakebuster

Re: Artura Alloys

Postby Brakebuster » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:55 pm

they may well both be 19" diameter, but its the offset of the hub mounting that will be different

usually the rears have a deeper offset than the front

also

the width of the rear tyres is usually slightly wider

so you can have a 19" 7.5J on the front , and a 19" 8j on the rear, ( those numbers are an example )
the wheel its self , as well as the owners manual will tell you what you have/need

BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2004 2.1V6 X-Type Saloon in platinum silver for the good wife
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

used to have
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8 in Seafrost

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:22 pm

This link might help. It gives wheel specs and as far as the Artura is concerned this appears to be an identical rim for front or back. Page 15 refers.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... Wc&cad=rja

As my learned friend, BB says, your car hand book should define what your model is fitted with. The high powered R models seem to have larger rims at the rear. That was indeed the case for instance on the S-type R.

If in any doubt as to what you may be looking for, the best solution would be to remove the rim from the car and look for the spec details on the rim itself. You will probably find them in raised metal lettering on the inside of the rim. A part number should also be prominent and probably a legend that says "Made in Germany". Funny old world!

Again as BB says, the important thing to look for is the J width ie typically 8.5, 9.5 etc and the ET which is the offset ie the mounting flange distance to the outboard extremity of the wheel rim. i`m unsure what the max ET is on the XF but certainly on an S-type it was 50mm. My oversize Jaguar Custom rims from an XJ350 were 49mm, so I`ve just squeaked them in!

The XF rim specs an availability seem better catered for on US sites. The UK lags for some reason. Always worth looking to the US supply chain if all else here fails.

Worth talking to Eurojag who break cars and advertise in our magazine. High quality new and second hand for good prices. Buying from a Main Dealer might leave you poor for Christmas!

Hope that helps,

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

ktclm06

Postby ktclm06 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:22 pm

Thank you both for the lead, much appreciated.

Looks as if they "could" be identical according to page 15 as indicated but my tyre man is due anytime to fit 2 x rear for me so will check then for sure.

I'm afraid it was Eurojag who sent the incorrect wheel but he was such a nice, helpful chap I couldn't bring myself to kick up a fuss so will sell the wrong wheel myself!.

Feel much happier now gents, much appreciated,
Keith.

Brakebuster

Postby Brakebuster » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:38 pm

cool

referring to the wheel damage you incurred , if you are able, and it is safe to do so , take a picture of the road surface the damaged happened on and claim against the local highways authority for compensation showing all the costs to replace the wheel

you never know

BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2004 2.1V6 X-Type Saloon in platinum silver for the good wife
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

used to have
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8 in Seafrost

ktclm06

Postby ktclm06 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:16 pm

I wish.

I had dealings with the slithering bucket of oiled eels that are the Lincolnshire Council Legal Department over damage to Mrs.T's car. I would not sully my life by having to encounter the dishonest, dishonourable, evasive liars ever again.

J was hammered for c.£750 for a new wheel and tyre and the claim was flatly refused despite seemingly being valid but they hid and ducked behind road classifications and frankly I grew bored with dealing with them. I therefore fined them the initial £750 plus £750 costs making a total of £1,500. I then proceeded to extract £1,500 of "value and cost" from the Council and this has been settled in full. The joy being they have no idea it has happened, they have no idea how and they never will. All legal and above board I can assure you which made it all the more pleasurable.

"Don't get mad, get even".

Must admit the plan is to send the damaged alloy to the self same Solicitor, anonymously of course so he has the joy of arranging disposal.

"Don't get mad, get even" (Part II)

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:21 pm

Here is my broken wheel saga and the story of "The Hole in Birmingham"!

http://www.jec.org.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... it=pothole
Re-reading it just now tends to suggest by the time I obtained settlement, I was well on the way to the funny farm. i was determined to win. So much hassle for just £140!!

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

ktclm06

Postby ktclm06 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:31 pm

Good read and a totally different approach to the clodhoppers at Lincolnshire Highways.The Lincolnshire mafia claimed a get out based on the fact that it was a B road and that "they were not aware" of the issue.

The pillocks reckoned they depended on the public and emergency services to advise when and where there was a problem. Then they had al manner of dishonest, dishonourable ways of wriggling out of any liability.

Lincolnshire Highways are known locally as a joke. Crap maintenance, when they do they work on 3+ major arterial routes at once creating traffic chaos. Then, we need to talk about their fetish for temporary traffic lights...which the locals seem to interpret as "red means it's ok to go".

God, I need to move away from here....

Rictus

Postby Rictus » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:41 pm

Greetings all,

I need to invest in a new front alloy (Artura 19")
Question...I am reading during my search that the rear wheel are a different size to the front?. I assumed 19" meant all round but am now suspicious that this may not be so.

Keith T.
Hi Keith,

Artura wheels are standard 19" with the same size rim width front and rear, so are fully interchangeable. I have them on my XF.

As Mike said, it is the supercharged models that have wider rims on the rear and normally run on 20" wheels.

Peter
Peter
1963 Mark 2 3.4
2005 XK8 4.2-S Convertible
2009 XF 3.0D PL

ktclm06

Postby ktclm06 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Greetings all,

I need to invest in a new front alloy (Artura 19")

Keith T.
Hi Keith,

Artura wheels are standard 19" with the same size rim width front and rear, so are fully interchangeable. I have them on my XF.

As Mike said, it is the supercharged models that have wider rims on the rear and normally run on 20" wheels.

Peter
Thanks Peter, you have succeeded in putting my mind to rest.

Onwards with the search then...!

Gratitude to you all, a great club with great members.