Brake dust shields

Moderators: mg600, Jaguar2010

franrca

Brake dust shields

Postby franrca » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:08 pm

Has anyone fitted brake dust shields on their XF and if so, is there a make you'd recommend? If it makes any difference, this is for 18" rims.

thanks

Richard
Richard

1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal

J44EAG

Re: Brake dust shields

Postby J44EAG » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:04 pm

I have not fitted any myself on either S-type. X350 or XF. Parts for the range, dependant on model and brake size are universal across the range, so that may be helpful to you.

I take it you are looking for shields which would sandwich between the brake disc top hat section and the wheel rim? Pitch Centre Diameter (PCD is 5 x108) which is the stud spacing for the five studs is important because anything different is unlikely to fit your hubs. I`m assuming you have brake dust on the rims which is tiresome to clean and is the reason you are looking at shields.

Prevention is better than cure. I`m in two minds about fitting such shields due to the possibility of reducing air flow around the discs which may not be such a good idea. OE Mintex or other high range pads should keep dust contamination down to a minimum. Cheaper pads might produce more dust. EBC sell their Green Stuff/Red Stuff or Yellow Stuff for uprated situations. These come at a much higher price though but life expectancy is longer than normal OE grade pad material and brake dust fall out is said to be less. Just type EBC or Red Stuff into your browser to see what is available.

Hope that helps in some way.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

franrca

Re: Brake dust shields

Postby franrca » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:56 pm

Thanks Mike, I'll have a look - I've had them on my XJS for years without any issues and really stopped almost all dust getting through - although I know this is a different beast. The XF has reasonably intricate alloys (lyra ones) and whilst I'm obsessed with keeping cars clean, I'm also lazy so want to minimise my expended effort!
Richard

1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal