Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

Moderators: Jaguar2010, mg600

KevNoble

Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

Postby KevNoble » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:08 am

My XF (2010, 3ltr D, 178000 miles) has just started to make a rhythmic whirring noise which I am sure is the rear left wheel bearing. It will probably last for years, but I thought I would replace it anyway (only £50 for a new bearing kit), and its a job I have done several times in the past on previous cars. The job went pretty well to start with and anticipated problems like remove the wheel speed sensor (often jammed in with corrosion on previous cars) did not materialise. I followed the manual and got as far as removing the main wheel nut and loosening the hub bolts, but then could not press out the half-shaft. I bought a generic hub puller, but for the first time ever, I was defeated when it broke (under a fair load))! Fortunately, I was able to put everything back together, so the car is now back to "square one" and drivable. So the question is: am I missing something, is there something else to remove or undo, or is the half-shaft just corroded or a tight interference fit in the hub? This leads to the next question: does the JEC still loan tools like it used to in the past? Any further advice advice gratefully received.
First Jag was an LPG X308 XJ8; now have an XF 3.0D. I enjoy doing my own maintenance.

PPV

Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

Postby PPV » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:35 pm

Speak to Ken Jenkins for tools and advice. His number and tools advert is usually in the magazine.
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Mercedes A45 AMG
Mercedes AMG GLC43