5.0litre V8 AJV8 engine oil

Moderators: Jaguar2010, mg600

labman20

5.0litre V8 AJV8 engine oil

Postby labman20 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:58 am

Hi,

This is my first post, so will shortly drop a comment into the newbies section intorducing myself.

I thought this might be of interest to any latest Gen 5litre V8 owners.
Euro car parts are doing a flash sale of Castrol oil, which includes the rarer than hens teeth 5W20 meeting the ford WSS M2C925A spec.
If you order what you need and enter HOT30 as a promo code you get 30% off, making it about £8.30 per litre, which is the cheapest I have been able it find it anywhere.

Sorry if this breaks any forum rules re advertising, I'm in no way affiliated with ECP, just thought I would pass on a money saving tip to fellow V8 enthusiasts.

Thanks
Phil
2011 XF V8 S, Liquid Silver, a gorgeous noise and a slight petrol habit.

regl7

Re: 5.0litre V8 AJV8 engine oil

Postby regl7 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:29 pm

Welcome Phil

Good value as bought some a few week ago from them on a previous offer. Not so keen on their oil finder by registration which seems to direct you to different grades. Quick delivery too.

Have you done a change using a vacuum pump Phil?
Reg

Ultimate Black XF 5.0 V8

labman20

Postby labman20 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:16 am

Hi Reg,

No, not done the oil change yet. The Vacuum pump is next on my list of 'toy's to buy. I attended the XF forum in April and from what Ian was saying the service should be a fairly simple procedure, so long as I can get the oil filter housing apart. It needs a special tool for that, unless you want to destroy the lid getting it off.
Either that or invest in a 3 tonne trolley jack, I'm not sure my old leaking Halfrauds 2 tonner would be up to lifting her.
As the Jag will have just dropped out of warranty period I'll be doing it myself. I've always serviced my own cars so this should present no problems. It is due in November, so I'm just buying bits as and when, try to spread the cost a little.

I know what you mean about ECP's oil finder. It's pretty rubbish, but the rest of the parts seem to match. At least for my wife's Micra they do :lol: .

Phil

regl7

Postby regl7 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:05 pm

Oil change today plus oil filter and both airfilters. Friend came over with a vacuum oil pump (Sealey TP69 I believe). All OK but needed to use a short bit of pipe/tube from old camelback as a sleeve connector and a small bit of tape to enlarge the Sealey pipe. 10-15 pumps and extracted 5 litres then released pressure and emptied before going again and also useful for sucking a bit out of the filter recess.

Filter cap wrench tool 90mm 15 side with torque wrench worked well. Checking oil level back in a bit slow as needed to wait 10 mins or so after a short engine run for a oil level readout.

Main issue/problem was getting a cold engine cover back on and trying to get it over the bark tube and get the two back slots onto the rubber grommets.

Air filters after 33k or so pretty filthy.
Reg

Ultimate Black XF 5.0 V8

labman20

Postby labman20 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks for the tips re the bark tube and cover.
Can I ask where you got the oil filter housing wrench? I can only find one in a set on Justoffbase, and they want £35 for it. Cheaper ones available on fleebay.
I can buy singles from the States, but not found one in the UK yet. Any thoughts.

I got a Mityvac 7201 extraction pump from the US in the end. 8.8 litre capacity and looks robust enough for a lifetimes DIY use. It comes with a variety of tubes and adaptors so hopefully fitting to the oil extraction tube will be easy enough.

Only on 26k miles so no air filters yet, will probably take them out and hoover out what I can though.