Restricted Performance

Moderators: mg600, Jaguar2010

RichardSEL

Re: Restricted Performance

Postby RichardSEL » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:18 am

Miles? Has your DPF been changed out?
Any other icon seen on dash?
Do you have a code reader? Your previous fault may have been stored even though the RP icon's out

Where are you? I'm south east London
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
In trim shop for total refurb: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Stalled in storage '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

Westfield

Postby Westfield » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:14 am

Apologies for the late reply.
The drivers side inlet manifold has now been replaced which incorporates the cam cover all in one moulding.
Problem solved but I did have to have a DPF clean performed where they injected some form of cleaner into it and now it all runs like new.
One interesting thing was when I collected the inlet manifold from Jaguar I asked if this was a common fault, the reply was 'I always keep one in stock'

Mottok76

Postby Mottok76 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:51 pm

Hi, first post here and unfortunately restricted performance related on my 2010 Jaguar XF 3.0 diesel. My issue looks similar to those in this post, wondering what you think? Thanks.
JagFaults.jpg

Pwiddy

Postby Pwiddy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:17 pm

I have a 2010 XF 3.0 Diesel with 75000 miles. Got the dreaded restricted performance mode and it cleared at first but then became a hard fault. Had a company run an analyser and they reckoned the 2nd Turbo was shot, or the DPF needed replacing and the car needed £2K spending on it!!! Bought an iCarsoft i930 analyser off Ebay for £90 and ran my own diagnostic test. Coupled with research on this fantastic site
the fault was this turbo actuator valve (as posted by Kev Noble originally) being seized solid. Cleaned it up and car now back to its lovely best. Just got to sort a few minor rear door lock faults now which Jag want £450 to fix!!

Mottok76

Postby Mottok76 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:37 am

Hi, can anyone help me with the post I sent a while back? I am still trying to get it sorted. Have changed the turbo shut off valve, had a smoke test done (all fine apparently), had the compressor shut off valve tested and the turbo vacuum solenoid changed. Still get the same two errors as above post and it is really annoying me now! Normally you can go over 3k rpm now and again and it's fine but if you received over 3k all the way past about 70+ it will eventually go in to limp mode. Desperate for help thanks.

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:21 am

Sometimes you have to tackle these issues from a rather diverse angle which on the face of it might be seemingly unrelated to the issue itself.

If the car were mine, I would in the first instance be trying a simple solution and horseing through a load of DPF cleaner through the fuel system. I`m not saying this will work but perhaps try some DPF cleaning chemical. Halfords sell this jollop.https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DCh ... LcC&adurl=

I would have also through some consultation with these people might be beneficial.
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DCh ... EAE&adurl=

Just my take on the matter. Hope it gives some ideas if nothing else.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

ibramguirguis174

Postby ibramguirguis174 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:24 am

Hi guys,

How anyone of you could keep up with the oil rise of the 2,7 engines ? Does the problem remain also with the 3.0l ?

Does anyone thought of changing the block ?

I've the 2,7D and just concerned what if I missed and my crank shaft broke!! What engine will fit in then ?

Many thanks

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:14 pm

Oil dilution and raised sump levels can occur in any diesel engine if other issues are present to cause the condition. Short journeys and fuel wash into the sump is the biggest issue which can lead to the engine running un-controlably on its own high level diluted engine oil. Weekly engine oil level checking is a wise precaution.

Many diesel engines operate with a regenerative program designed to clear the particulate filters as a burn off procedure. Over fueling is part of that process. Heavy smoking at the exhaust may signify a regeneration is in progress. This process should be left to complete preferably by driving the car on a motorway until it is clear that the process has completed. Unfortunately many owners do not recognize when regeneration is taking place and could well continue to use the car for short journeys. This will lead to rising sump oil levels with high dilution levels occurring. Best advice must be to not use the 2.7 on short journeys. The 3.0 or indeed any other diesel vehicle used for short journeys is at risk. If short journeys are performed, then extra special level checking and more regular oil changing needs to occur.

I run a 1.6Hdi diesel in a Peugot van. Dependent on usage, I`ll change the oil in that van every 5-7k miles to keep lubrication oil at a reasonable quality and to rid the van of any dilution contaminates. No regime is perfect but this course of action goes someway to addressing diesel issues.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

richardhilton77146

Postby richardhilton77146 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:19 am

I’ve now got a slight variation on this. Can anyone offer any pointers?

XF 3.0d, 145k miles, serviced 2 weeks ago, intercooler changed about 12 months ago, car used for 100 miles per day commute on dual carriageways

Restricted performance warning came on about a week ago, EGR valve checked and found to be ok. Lubricated anyway to be sure. MAP sensor fault detected so the sensor was replaced but the warning still comes up. Not sure what warnings now appear in the computer as the garage has the car but couldn’t look at it straight away.

At the start it was just the red restricted performance warning but the last time I drove it the yellow engine warning light also appeared. Came on for a few mins then went off. 10 mins later it was back on.

Any ideas of what to try next?

It’s a local garage and they are genuine guys who are really keen to fix the problem and not just replace parts randomly.

Thanks

Rich

JamesR

Postby JamesR » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:07 pm

Hi, can anyone help me with the post I sent a while back? I am still trying to get it sorted. Have changed the turbo shut off valve, had a smoke test done (all fine apparently), had the compressor shut off valve tested and the turbo vacuum solenoid changed. Still get the same two errors as above post and it is really annoying me now! Normally you can go over 3k rpm now and again and it's fine but if you received over 3k all the way past about 70+ it will eventually go in to limp mode. Desperate for help thanks.
Hi Mottock76,

Did you ever get to the bottom of your issue?

Thanks