Restricted Performance

Moderators: Jaguar2010, mg600

KevNoble

Restricted Performance

Postby KevNoble » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:56 pm

Hi. Had my XF3.0D for a month and driving home this evening, cruising at about 60, "Restricted Performance" came up in the message centre. Continued the mile to home, turned the engine off, restarted it and all back to normal. Any ideas what it could be? Ta.
First Jag was an LPG X308 XJ8; now have an XF 3.0D. I enjoy doing my own maintenance.

davidr

Re: Restricted Performance

Postby davidr » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:50 pm

Could your DPF be full? Do you do a lot of short trips?
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Conv. (shown on the JEC stand at NEC Nov 2015)
2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

ianoliver57

Postby ianoliver57 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:53 am

Could also be the EGR valve on the exhaust. I had exactly the same problem on a 2.7D S type.

Regards

Ian.
2019 XJ Premium Luxury V6 D. :D
Previously
2004 S Type
2010 XF 3L petrol
2014 XF R-Sport
2010 XKR 5L
2011 XF S
2017 F Type 340

KevNoble

Postby KevNoble » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:28 am

Thanks for the quick response; it's definitely not short journeys - I do 90miles each way to work on the M4 ( achieved 48.4mpg out of the last tank over 600 miles, at a steady 70mph in cruise control). I think I'll get it investigated with a particular eye on the EGR, but the thought also occurred to me: can anyone recommend a good code reader for the XF?
First Jag was an LPG X308 XJ8; now have an XF 3.0D. I enjoy doing my own maintenance.

KevNoble

Postby KevNoble » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:40 pm

Following advice from the excellent XF Seminar on 12th April, I checked out my turbo shut-off valve (this necessitates removal of the large undertray; the valve is actuated by a vauum piston in a silver pot approx 2" diam on the front of the engine). Sure enough, when I pressed the actuator arm open against the spring, it stuck fully open. A little lube on the arm, rose joint and piston rod and no more sticking. Several tests at full bore to the red line and no more restricted performance. :D
Jaguar also do a replacement vauum pot and actuator for about £60 apparently, although it looks quite tricky to get at. The Seminar has paid for itself already and is highly recommended!

KJHowcroft

Postby KJHowcroft » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:26 am

Following advice from the excellent XF Seminar on 12th April, I checked out my turbo shut-off valve (this necessitates removal of the large undertray; the valve is actuated by a vauum piston in a silver pot approx 2" diam on the front of the engine). Sure enough, when I pressed the actuator arm open against the spring, it stuck fully open. A little lube on the arm, rose joint and piston rod and no more sticking. Several tests at full bore to the red line and no more restricted performance. :D
Jaguar also do a replacement vauum pot and actuator for about £60 apparently, although it looks quite tricky to get at. The Seminar has paid for itself already and is highly recommended!
Is the actuator arm easy to get at from underneath?

KevNoble

Postby KevNoble » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:09 pm

Hi,

Yes - very obvious and easy. Remove the under-tray and it’s at the front middle of the engine from memory with the air tubes for the turbo connecting to it. There is a short piston rod that connects the actuator to the valve via a rose joint. I just oiled it once nearly 4 years ago and I’ve not had a problem since.

Good luck,

Kev

KJHowcroft

Postby KJHowcroft » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:21 am

Hi,

I was driving my Jag XF 3.0D 2010 along the motorway and went to accelerate to overtake when the Restricted Performance came up, pulled into services and switched off and went for a coffee, went back to the car and started it up no Restricted Performance no more problems that day.
This problem with the Restricted Performance happened several times over the next month until finally, it came up every time I started the car. I checked the internet for suggestions and found hundreds, most of which were of no use. Then I came across a post by Kev Noble :-
Very obvious and easy. Remove the under-tray and it’s at the front middle of the engine from memory with the air tubes for the turbo connecting to it. There is a short piston rod that connects the actuator to the valve via a rose joint. I just oiled it once nearly 4 years ago and I’ve not had a problem since.
I did this and as he said it works a treat. I can only add that the actuator is just behind the cross member in the centre. It will be stuck in so give it a spray of WD40 and pull it out, clean it and work it in and out until it feels free then lube it and put back together.

KevNoble

Postby KevNoble » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Glad it worked for you too. I’ve still not had a recurrence thankfully!

Westfield

Postby Westfield » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi.
I have the same issue with the 'Restricted performance' in my XF S
Mine started about a week after it had been serviced when I was going uphill and gave it a bit of throttle It did the RP thing.
It resets itself when you turn the engine off but does it every day when I go up hill but the engine warning light is now on and doesn't go away. I have had a OBD reader plugged in and its reading a turbo pressure fault, I have looked at the actuator as described above but its smooth and does not stick.
Air leak possibly?

KevNoble

Postby KevNoble » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:38 am

Hi. On the older 2.7L diesels, apparently the EGR valves used to stick causing the "Restricted Performance" warning to show. I think the next action after Googling the problem would be to connect to a diagnostics device to see what the car is recording as the cause. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Westfield

Postby Westfield » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:48 pm

It would appear that I have an air leak on the intake pipework.
I have had a smoke test done and it has been traced to the left hand side inlet manifold.
As I have also been driving the car the DPF warning has now come on in red so Hopefully this will all be sorted out on Wednesday. What I didn't realise is that DPF's do not like short journeys, What a stupid idea.....

RichardSEL

Postby RichardSEL » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:57 am

Only know that if the DPF light comes on then car may have been stopped mid-DPF "regeneration".
Try driving at 50-60mph fixed in a lower gear for ½ to ¾ hour to see whether DPF light goes off?
How many miles has this DPF done? Or is it the original?

The DPF light can be cleared using a diagnostic, or by a hard reset (disconnecting both battery cables then tying them together to short with a cable tie for 20mins or so)

Your air intake leak will have to be sorted first though.
Sticky EGRs are a known as mentioned above but that would show as a seperate diagnostic "p" code
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
In trim shop for total refurb: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Stalled in storage '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

Danthedonkey112

Postby Danthedonkey112 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:53 pm

I have had the RP mode in one of my XF's on two occasions. The first time the car was seeing a loss in pressure in the intake, this was due to a faulty seal in the outlet of the intercooler, this is on the right hand side of the car as you are looking into the engine bay. if you remove the airbox you can see there is a white fitting that takes the 60mm hose to a oblong connector to the intercooler, this is held in place by two m6 flange head bolts. on the white adapter there is a 3mm cord seal that sits between the two. There is little compression of the seal and this lead to air leaks, a quick test with an intercooler test kit confirmed this. I removed the fitting and covered the seal on both sides with silicon sealant left to dry overnight, the next morning i re tested the cooler and the system was completely sealed, and since then no problems with the inter cooler much cheaper and easier than replacing the cooler as many dealers would do. My second problem with the RP mode was in the cool morning of the winter, if i went above 2500 RPM with a cold engine the dreaded RP mode would rear it's head. on inspection with the computer (auto enguniuity with jag pack) device the car was complaining that it had opened the air valve to the secondary turbo:
P22D2-77 Turbocharger Turbine Inlet Valve Stuck Open - Commanded position not reachable
P22CF-71 Turbocharger Turbine Inlet Valve Control Circuit / Open - Actuator stuck
the car thought it was unable to close it, this turned out to be the Assembly that sits between the engine and the intercooler at the bottom of the engine bay refered to as "Secondary turbocharger recirculation valve and shut-off valve". this is clearly visible when the under-tray is removed, it has 5 torx head bolts to remove and it is a tight squeeze but it is doable, remove the vacuum hoses and electrical connections and the unit comes out, i replaced with a second hand unit from ebay and so far so good no error codes. If you are under a jaguar on regular occasions i would recommend the auto enginunity computer obd scanner. it's quite limited due to Jaguars shall we say unique operating perimeters but it does prove useful. I ordered mine form america and it arrived 3 days later, it can provide live views of most of the cars sensors and is capable of resetting the service light, resetting the battery after a change and very usefully resetting the adaptive gearbox so the car can relearn your driving style, good suport ieven from the us, originally the software could not reset the service light, we complained to the company to too my shock the company owner came to see me with his wife and spent all day with my car and my dads XKR until he has sorted the problems, he actually had the jaguar dealer computer and was using this to learn jaguars software, from what i observed the auto enginuty software is actually superior to jags own!. I have had 3 XF 3.0L TTD V6 now so if you have any questions please get in touch, i have done most things in the interior and removed the rear sub frame and completely rebuilt it, i have removed the entire brake system, changed all the interior wood trim and many other things any thing anybody wants to know give me a shout i would be happy to help. On another note my old man has a Jag XKR 2006 4.2. we have spent countless hours messing around with that so any questions on the x150 let me know hopefully i can help.

connorsa

Postby connorsa » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:36 pm

My first "restricted performance" event has just happened towards the end of a long and fast M4 trip. The effect has been to dramatically reduce acceleration in my 2009 3l Diesel XF, but nothing else. Restarting on my driveway and the RP message is no longer present. Any ideas or suggestions I can offer when taking it to a good mechanic- I'd rather avoid the main dealers if poss, everyone seems to consider them over expensive and too happy to try various solutions with limited success.