K & N Air Filter

Moderators: Jaguar2010, mg600

len7

K & N Air Filter

Postby len7 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:03 pm

I saw a few months ago in an article in our magazine,that Mike Kennedy had fitted one of these filters.
This is something I have thought about from time to time and particularly now I have a Jag.
I have seen feedback that in some applications they can be 'noisy'.
I was wondering if members had any comments on that point and K & N Filters generally.
I know Mike is co-ordinator for the X-350 forum but maybe he might comment on his experience so far.

Len 7
2015 XF 3.0
Len7
3.0 D XF S

J44EAG

Re: K & N Air Filter

Postby J44EAG » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:01 pm

I can answer the questions easily.

The panel filter type which fits in the OE air box, does not cause any perceivable increase in air induction roar.

Cone type air filters though, might increase noise slightly as it is rare to find them fitted within an air box case. Cone types are only really of any advantage when used on a competition car.

I`ve used K&N air filters for the last twenty five years on my cars. They have never given any issues at all. They offer a slight reduction in air drag when compared to the standard OE pleated paper type units.

I wash my air filter out every ten thousand miles or so. A fluid maintenance kit is available from K&N. Halfords stock the kit so that makes it easy to obtain. You remove the filter from the car, soak with a supplied cleaning fluid, then after half an hour, wash out under a running tap. The filter then has to be dried out. Some people stick them on their central heating boiler overnight. I simply leave the filter in the sun for a couple of hours. Once dry, you re-oil the filter from the "dirty" side. The spray oil is applied until it can just be seen to be impregnating the "clean"side of the filter media. Don`t over do the oiling. Any excess will accumulate on the MAF sensor hot wire and attract dirt. That would then need to be cleaned off with spray switch cleaner.

Check the applicability listings carefully before buying. The sizes vary slightly between modern Jaguar types. Expect to pay between £36 and £45 for a filter dependent upon advertisers costs. Fitting is identical to that of a standard filter.

Hope that helps.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

Brakebuster

Postby Brakebuster » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:42 pm

i agree

every car i own and have for the last twenty five years has had a K&N filter fitted, mostly a direct replacement for the paper panel filters, fit and forget for the most part

BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2004 2.1V6 X-Type Saloon in platinum silver for the good wife
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

used to have
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8 in Seafrost

len7

Postby len7 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:32 am

Many thanks for your kind replies.
It makes such a difference to learn from folk who have used them over a long period.
My way is clear!
Len7
3.0 D XF S