EGR Valve and cooler failures

Moderators: Jaguar2010, mg600

franrca

EGR Valve and cooler failures

Postby franrca » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:57 pm

I have a 2.2 2013 XF and recently went into limp home mode. Green flag plugged the car in and advised that it was an EGR issue.

Took it into my garage (who irritatingly, but maybe understandably, ran another diagnostics for £60 + VAT) and confirmed the issue.

Apparently the EGR valve had failed and upon further investigation, the separate EGR cooler had also failed.

Sods law that my warranty had run out in December, so my bill has come out at just over £1k - they thought I should complain to Jaguar as the car has 'only' covered 45,000 miles and these parts should not be failing. I checked and there has been no recall on these parts, but just wonedered how common this is - has anyone else had this issue?

I deceided not to bother calling Jaguar as a) the cra is 5-6 years old and b) I am the second owner, although I did buy from Jaguar as one of their used cars purchases with 2 year warranty. Additionally is there anything you can do to avoid these failures i.e. doing some long runs, not using supermarket diesel...Greenflag suggested that, but the garage reckoned that didn't make any difference.
Richard

1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal

cuneyt

Re: EGR Valve and cooler failures

Postby cuneyt » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:50 pm

Dear Sir;

My name is Cuneyt , I am 40 years old and I have been working in England for 3 years.

I have seen your make of cars on the roads and I have admired them.

Especially Jaguar XF, that wonderful car has begun to come in to my dreams. Then I made up my mind and

decided to own one. At 1st of September 2017 I have managed to buy a second hand 2012 XF Premium Luxury,

3.0L Diesel, 235HP at 96K Mileage from a local dealer for nearly £11K.

Then, I enjoyed my dream car for more than one year. I tried to be kind and gentle as I can be on my car and

get it serviced regularly and though there was no need, I changed the tyres with quality ones. Just to give the merit that it deserves…

But, unfortunately, recently I have received ‘Restricted Performance-RP’ sign at my dashboard and took the car to

Jaguar Beadles Watford for repair. Below I summarized the events from the day I left the car to Service up to now.

11 FEB I TAKE THE CAR TO BEADLES FOR DIAGNOSE, THEY FOUND THROTTLE BODY FAULTY AND CHANGED IT. (£550)

12-19 FEB RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE ALARM DID NOT DISAPPEARED, THEY FOUND EGR VALVE FAULTY AND CHANGE IT (£1.300)

20 FEB THEY TOLD ME THEY COULDN”T CONTINUE WITH THE REPAIRS BECAUSE MY BATTERY WAS DEAD. I GAVE THE AUTHORIZATION TO CAHANGE IT (£250)

21 FEB THEY TOLD ME THAT THE CAR TAKEN TO HIGHWAY TO REGENARATE THE DISEL PARTICULAR FILTER.

RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE ALARM GONE AND THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH THE CAR WAS “DPF FULL” SIGN.

LATER ON THEY TOLD ME THAT REGENARITION WAS FAILED DUE TO A HOLE ON A PIPE. THEY TOLD ME THEY WOULD FIX IT FREE OF CHARGE.

22 FEB RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE STILL THERE. THEY ADMITTED THAT THEY DAMAGED THE PIPE THEMSELVES WHEN CHANGING THE EGR VALVE.

STATING THE ALARM WAS CAUSED BY THE EGR VALVE THEY DECIDED TO RE-CHANGE THE ALREADY CHANGED EGR VALVE.

26 FEB AFTER ALL THESE CHANGES NOTHING CHANGED. AND THEY ADMITTED THAT THEY COULD NOT FIX THE PROBLEM

AND ASKED FOR TECHNICAL ASSISSTANCE FROM HEAD OFFICE.

27 FEB I SENT A LETTER TO JAGUAR CUSTOMER RELATIONS REGARDING MY CONCERNS. (ATTACHED)

28 FEB IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS THEY RECEIVED FROM THE HEAD OFFICE,

THIS TIME THEY DISCOVERED A LEAKAGE ON THE TURBO CHARGER. AND THEY INFORMED ME THAT

THE DPF WAS ALSO BLOCKED BY THIS LEAKAGE AND BOTH PARTS NEED TO BE CHANGED. (DPF £1.500 and TURBO £2.000)

THEY ASKED JAGUAR FOR A GOODWILL .

04 MAR JAGUAR DECLINED THE GOODWILL REQUEST DUE TO AGE AND MILEAGE OF THE CAR.

05 MAR I RECEIVED A MAIL FROM JAGUAR CUSTOMER RELATIONS SUMMARIZING THE STORY AND REASON FOR DECLINE.

BUT NOTHING REGARDING MY CONCERNS ABOUT THE SERVICE. THEY ARE READY TO SPEAK WITH MY LEGAL REPRESENTATIVE.

12 MAR WE HAD A MEETING AT JAGUAR BEADLES. THEY PROMISED ME TO SEND A DETAILED BREAK DOWN OF THE COST AND WE WILL DECIDE ON THE REPAIR.

14 MAR NOTHING RECEIVED. I MUST BE REAALY FOOL ENOUGH TO BELEIVE IN THEM.

HELLLPPP!!!!!!

Dear sir,

As you read, my point is: this Service IS NOT CAPABLE OF FIXING MY CAR. Up to now they changed a lot of parts without any positive result.

They ask for assistance from head office and now telling me that they need to change some other really expensive parts.

HOW CAN I DEPEND ON THEM WHEN THESE PARTS CHANGED THE PROBLEM WOULD BE SOLVED?

AND HOW CAN I BELIEVE THAT THE ALREADY CHANGED PARTS ARE REALLY FAULTY!! Obviously, their being changed made no difference up to now.

Sir; as a customer MY EXPECTATION IS: TO RECEIVE MY CAR BACK FULLY OPERATIONAL AND MAKE A FAIR PAYMENT FOR THE WORK DONE.

But considering the unfortunate events up to now I must say that I HAVE NO CONFIDENCE IN JAGUAR BEADLES. NEITHER IN WHAT THEY SAID NOR WHAT THEY DID.

I kindly request your support.

franrca

Re: EGR Valve and cooler failures

Postby franrca » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:52 pm

Sorry, just seen this - wow Cuneyt, that is a horrendous experience and clearly is ongoing.

This does raise the question of how liable a manufacturer is when they follow a trial and error course at your expense; it's worrying that this dealer appears to not be interested in their reputation with such apparent lack of customer service, fairness or care. Not helpful, but I feel for you...
Richard

1995 4.0 XJS (Celebration) Coupe Topaz/Cream
2013 2.2 XF Sportbrake (Prem Lux) Cashmere/Charcoal