New Member Joined 2.9.14

Moderator: J44EAG

Azure123

New Member Joined 2.9.14

Postby Azure123 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:43 pm

Hello JEC, not sure what I'm doing at the minute just joined yesterday and have been touring the JEC site which looks very impressive and so many experts in all aspects of Jaguars. I have had 3 Jaguars during the last 2 years and started off with an X Type Sovereign 2008 diesel model which was such a great car.

I Moved to a XK 4.2 V8 next which was the best car I ever owned. Believe it or not the XK being offered as a raffle prize was actually my car and I can testify to the mileage of 12500 as I bought it with 9600 miles on the clock. That body kit made such a difference to it's look. I was the econd owner from new. The JEC has it down as a one owner car but it is a two owner car but does look like new. I had it for six months and traded in at Hatfields Wakefield because I really needed a proper saloon. Anyone whose owned a XK knows 4 adults travelling in one is not really possible. I purchased my XJ Sovereign and I am so pleased with it. I'm retired now (5 years) and spent all my life in the motor car industry including many years as an Insurance Engineering Manager for a large motor insurer.
Look forward to reading lots more about other members and their cars.
Steve :D

Brakebuster

Re: New Member Joined 2.9.14

Postby Brakebuster » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:16 pm

welcome

interesting what you say about the raffle car....

enjoy the JEC, the next meet up is next saturday at warwick Castle , open to everyone, very cheap if you drive your jag along

BB

btw, there is one unwritten rule here, you must post a picture of your car, lol :mrgreen:
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2004 2.1V6 X-Type Saloon in platinum silver for the good wife
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

used to have
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8 in Seafrost

Azure123

Postby Azure123 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:27 am

Thanks for the welcome BB. Seems my photo file sizes are too big to upload. Not sure how I will get round that.

barrywi

Postby barrywi » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:40 am

Welcome to,the BB section of the jec site. Do not hesitate to post any questions here or email or phone me for more information. Also if you want to write about your X-350 experiences send it to me or Nigel Thorley
Barry...JEC x-350 coordinator

Azure123

Postby Azure123 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:20 am

Hi Barry thanks for the welcome note. If my photo files are too big and exceed your allowances is there another way I could attach some photos of my car. I tried linking a photo bucket album but couldn't seem to create a link.

Steve

ptjs1

Postby ptjs1 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:20 pm

Steve,

Welcome to the Bulletin Board and thank you very much for doing what we wish all members would do by updating your membership record with your car details!

The website does resize large photos as part of the upload sequence but I think there are still limits with which it can operate.

Have you tried creating an album by using the "Photo Gallery" at the top right of this page? Go to the "X-350 (03-09)" section then create an album where you load in photos from your PC. If they are within the limit, the website will then resize them on upload. You can then post those photos into a post. I'm sure if you give Barry or Peter Ford a ring, they could talk you through the process; http://www.jec.org.uk/registers/x350/forum_contacts.php

Let us all know how you get on.

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

barrywi

Postby barrywi » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:29 pm

And don't forget to register your car in the vehicle register section( surprisingly named!)

ptjs1

Postby ptjs1 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:07 pm

Barry,

As mentioned in previous post, Steve has already updated his membership record with his car details.

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

barrywi

Postby barrywi » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:59 pm

Its my age Paul!!

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:03 pm

The photo size restriction is rather frustrating if you use say the 3M or 5M settings on your camera. Pixelisation is rather large and density which provides a sharp image is often too large for the site to handle.

One way around that is to take your picture well back from the subject and later edit the image to a smaller content by using the edit facility in Windows Photo Gallery. The crop facility allows you to remove all the extraneous clutter from around the subject, ie if you have taken a pic of your car together with a manor house and rolling hills, you crop all that away to just leave the car. Cropping height and width may leave you with a pic that loads easily onto our site. Having done a crop to an image, hovering the pointer on that image in your library will show you its height and width which needs to be within 900x1300 to load on our site.

To make life easier when I am taking pictures for this site, I set my camera to the 2M setting which further reduces the size of the image and also employ the above method to keep the image to a size which is acceptable. This image for instance measures 1208 x 546 and image quality is quite adequate for our purposes here.
000_0021.JPG
As I understand it many of us do find the size restriction a little irksome but also realise that increasing allowable sizes would mean an enlargement of this site with inevitable increase in costs to us.

Others operating on this site also have much better ways of dealing with image sizing than my method above using Photobucket and other external facilities. They are rather cleverer than me in that respect and that type of facility is something in which I have not yet become involved.

Anyway, my methods for loading images which may prove helpful.

Mike K

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

Azure123

Postby Azure123 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:13 pm

Many thanks chaps for all the encouragement and photo advises. Feels like family this JEC.

I'll have another go but will ring in if it all goes belly up, ha ha!!

Steve

steve_m

Postby steve_m » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:23 pm

Easiest way to upload large photos is to resize them; right click, select edit and then resize (obviously dependent on your operating system).
If you save it it will then be given the suffix (1) so you keep your original.

raysearles

Postby raysearles » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:15 am

Welcome from me too, and hope you have many years of enjoyment and are able to attend many of the great events the JEC offers, local, regional and national.

You could even come to the NEC on the Sunday and see your former car raffled off - that might be a first?
Ray
JEC Events Chairman

2011 XJ351 Premium Luxury (tbd)
1971 E Type 2+2 Series 3, (Sophee)
1999 XKR Convertible (K8)

A19KEV

Postby A19KEV » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:48 pm

Hi Steve; welcome! I'm still a newbie, with a 2008 Sovereign 2.7TDvi which I've had for a year. Hope you're enjoying the forums, and the monthly magazine is fascinating.
Just while I'm on, there's an interesting tv programme tomorrow night - 'Wheeler Dealers', Discovery Channel. The two guys buy a Jaguar XJC and do it up. It's a good programme; I've seen a few in this series. They bought a Morgan the other day - which was fine, but needed a new chassis. Wow what a lot of work! Crikey, it had leaf springs; quite surprising when you think of our 'air' suspension.
My Jag's just had a service, MOT and new front discs. Only £480 quid. Cheap, heh heh!
Also took out the warranty again and Jag recovery assistance. Last year was £600 quid. Gosh they must have looked at how many call outs I had. This year was £1130.
Happy motoring!
Cheers,
Kev :)
2008 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign 2.7 Tdvi twin turbo diesel

Azure123

Postby Azure123 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Hi Kevin, thanks for the welcome note. Yes I am an avid fan of Wheeler Dealers, it makes me laugh as I served my time in the early seventies as a mechanic and a lot of the cars they work on bring it all back. Load of rubbish of course when they talk of profit. If they factored Ed China's labour in they would make a loss on every car but I still enjoy the show. I was at Port Sunlight today the 7.9.14 for a World War 1 event and the Cheshire JEC region were there which was a surprise. As I joined the JEC last week I asked the JEC's official if I could bring my own car along side the rest of the Jags. He said of course so officially it was my first event by default I guess even though I expect to attend my local regional meetings in the Yorkshire Ridings region. There was a 1974 XJC there today, in great shape which are getting rare I assume based on the numbers produced. Anyway a great day.

Glad you enjoy your own XJ diesel. Yes just renewed my warranty with Jaguar at £1040 without assistance. But I had 3 claims in the first 12 months at a cost of £2500 so thought it would be worthwhile renewing. I'll be sure to see Wheeler Dealers tomorrow.
Regards
Steve