just accquired an xjr

Moderator: J44EAG

53xjr

just accquired an xjr

Postby 53xjr » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:00 am

Hi
Thought id make my first post and say hi. Quick history, the first car I ever drove was a series 1 xj6 (my uncles). Then at 15 I persuaded my parents I needed to buy a car to hone my skills of car repair for when I leave school and become a panel beater. My first car was an xj6 series 2. In my early 20's I bought an xjs V12 and then an xj12.

My dad has had a few jags. mk8, 3.8 s type, mk10 and currently drives a supercharged XF. My mum had a xj40. My brother has a series 3 xj12. So you can see jags have been around me for some years. Literally just sold my 2011 m3 and figured id buy a cheep car for 500 quid to keep my NCD and to have a car to drive instead of my work van. That idea didn't last long and I decided I needed an old jag to smoke about in. I went to look at a £1000 one. Then a 2k one. Both not fit for sale. I upped the budget to 3.5k but didn't like the idea of spending that much on such an old jag. I Started looking at v8 350's and noticed a couple of cheep superv8's. The one near me sold but there was what looked like an immaculate xjr in Yorkshire. A 4 hour drive revealed a tarted up for sale bag of puss with wheelspeed sensor fault and an engine warning light. I walked away and once home, looked for a 'nice' one.

I made the mistake of going to look at it in the rain but it was a 2 owner 56000 mile car with full jaguar service history and a fanatical owner. I paid the deposit and arranged to go back on Wednesday to collect. Going back i then noticed a few more marks than I did in the rain but overall its still a good car that could do with a bit of paintwork.

So far im still comparing it with the M3 and its falling short on everything but its 15yrs old and I know i'll just have to get used to it. I need to upgrade the media/phone system and I may have to do the smaller pulley and map. I do love the shape of the xj and its nice opening the curtain and seeing it sitting there. Hope to go to some meets with it before the summer ends and meet a few of the jec members. i'll see if I can attach a pic

53xjr

Re: just accquired an xjr

Postby 53xjr » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:47 pm

IMG_20180801_160143_775.jpg

jimdox

Re: just accquired an xjr

Postby jimdox » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:28 pm

Welcome to the JEC Forum.
Well you seem to come from a proper Jag family.

As a lot of people on here say these cars are fantastic and an absolute bargain and I don't think prices will get much lower then they are now. To cruise around in and on long journeys they are great. I took mine from central Scotland to the JEC summer festival and enjoyed every minute of the journey. The XJR will be on another lever than my V6 Sovereign and I am sure Mike Kennedy will be along soon to tell you how to best get more power from your car as he has done a fair amount on his with some crazy results I hear.

Once again welcome and enjoy your Jag.

P.S. That's a lovely colour.