First Jaguar so why not an XJR :-)

Moderator: J44EAG

Bigkid

First Jaguar so why not an XJR :-)

Postby Bigkid » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:16 pm

Hi all,

Quick introduction I have just acquired a '53 plate Black XJR with cream(?) interior, its done nearly 134K miles and is currently shod with 19' Performance alloys with Dunlop Winter tyres.

My uncle had a succession of XJs when i was a kid, including a gorgeous V12... I was in love...

Previous car was actually a Mercedes Vito crew cab van, which had been my daily driver since April 2011.
It's purpose being to transport my Rottweilers to shows across the country and europe.

However the wife has decided that she prefers her own company (or maybe somebody else's) to mine, so we're in the process of separating, and will no longer be showing the dogs.

Nowadays I work from home most days and my 'commuting' consists of just one day a week (from home nr. Clacton-on-Sea to Slough approx 225miles return).

So I was thinking, why suffer that trip in a van?

I posted in 'general' a few weeks ago that I had the chance to get this XJR and after checking the Service History, and additional paperwork, and the fact it flew through its MOT with no sign of an advisory, I took the plunge.

My van sold and Saturday and I took on the XJR.

Initial thoughts (after nearly 7 years in a diesel van)....

incredibly low
incredibly stylish
incredibly comfortable
incredibly smooth
and oh wow incredibly fast

Drove 45 miles home like a saint watching the avg fuel and achieved 29.8 across mix of dual carriage ways, A & B roads.
I've since driven about another 150miles (but with frequent Woohoo moments) and the overall avg is now down to 26mpg....but who cares!

Tomorrow will be its first commute to Slough, so I'll reset trip B and see what comes of that.

Meanwhiles I'm thinking;

Generally check it over
I want to fit mudflaps (see my post in Bodywork) to preserve the excellent bodywork
I need to put a PAYG sim in the car phone and divert my iPhone
It has what sounds like (according to Mike's diagnosis) an anti-roll bar bush gone on the ns front.
It's due a service around March time (any good independents in Colchester area?)

Look forward to reading & contributing.

Cheers
Carl

J44EAG

Re: First Jaguar so why not an XJR :-)

Postby J44EAG » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:31 pm

Hello Carl,

Very glad you have the car. One of the best products Jaguar have made.

Take a good look at the suspension and engine sections. You will find loads of information contained in the various posts. How I wish such detailed accounts had been available when I first got my car. You will have a lot easier ride that I had in that respect because no one had really previously written such detailed accounts. Advantage to you! Also go to the past magazine section on this site and peruse our articles written about maintenance. You will find that very useful.

You mpg is about right. Just use Oxy Cat or Cataclean to keep the Lambda sensors and cats nice and clean. Also regular use of fuel injector cleaner pays dividends.

How about uploading a few images for us all to see?

Keep in touch.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

Manbearpig

Postby Manbearpig » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:58 pm

Could you point me in the direction of this past magazines section? This forum is huge with so many sub models and sections. Are they freely viewable or JEC members only?

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:21 pm

The magazine section location can be a bit odd. Its visibility is often not apparent if using Firefox! James has that in hand.....

If you open the site via Google Chrome, the the magazine button and other sections are visible above the header photograph.

Each browser opens the site in a slightly different manner. Hence these slight issues which our James is addressing as work in progress.

Any problems, come back to us.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

3.8etypephil

Postby 3.8etypephil » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:05 pm

XJR = Good.

Come along to the Essex / Suffolk borders meeting at the Cricketers, Eight Ash Green on Monday 5th February, 19.00 onwards.
Phil

2013 XFR
2008 XJR
http://jagchat.net/

Bigkid

Postby Bigkid » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:15 pm

Phil,
Is that for JEC members only? So far I've just registered on the forum.
Cheers
Carl

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:37 pm

That`s correct. A good reason to join the JEC as a member!

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

3.8etypephil

Postby 3.8etypephil » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:29 am

Phil,
Is that for JEC members only? So far I've just registered on the forum.
Cheers
Carl
You'd be welcome to attend as a guest to meet people and see what goes on.
Phil

2013 XFR
2008 XJR
http://jagchat.net/