x358 wipers parking the wiper blades in odd postions

Moderator: J44EAG

J44EAG

Re: x358 wipers parking the wiper blades in odd postions

Postby J44EAG » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:52 am

My wiper original wiper assembly is still on the car having cured itself on the way to Surrey Jag Centre. Can`t fix what ain`t bust!

Then it started playing up again.....To an extent the issue can be very voltage sensitive. ie short trips in very cold weather. Warmed up and charging off the alternator for a while, the issue moderates then fixes itself again completely after a few miles. That`s even with a fairly new Varta Blue premium battery fitted. Cold starts even with an engine that fires instantly, drops plate and terminal voltage on the battery and the wipers come out in sympathy. Its most frustrating. My used replacement still sits in a box in the garage!

Your air compressor doesn`t seem to have gone well. The bore must be in near perfect condition to tolerate a piston ring replacement. Bagpiping Andy does a replacement pattern cylinder to get around wear in that area. Also note that the silica gel media in the canister can become sopping wet having mopped up loads to condensate water over the years. That can make a compressor dysfunctional. Silica replacement kits can be found on the 4x4 Airseals site and are not expensive. A wet and clogged media canister will stop air from passing to the other suspension airline parts. So if you haven`t done that job, I`d suggest that might be a wise move before going further.

Check the airsprings for leaks also. Do this by going to each corner in turn and lift the car body work by putting your back to each wheel arch then with your hand behind you, try lifting the car. Any air leakage then found is often down to a worn airspring.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

Darellpa

Postby Darellpa » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:38 am

Yes i can't seem to pin down the wiper issue :-/ it can operate fine one minute on auto or single wash wipe and then completely mad the next. As we all do with Jags we find a working way around it so if i let the wipers work on slow for a minute and then go back to auto they work fine until i switch the ignition off. The suspension pump repair sort of fixed 50% of the issue and i did do the piston ring and the silica filter but the pump looks like it has had a hard life so bit the bullet and bought a new oem pump. I am just waiting for the right weather to do the work and i am going to do a few jobs at the same time. I have measured the distance between the hubs and the wheel arch and the measurement is correct and i have left the car parked for a week and it hasn't sagged in any corner so i can't see this being a leak although i suppose air could be lost as the suspension leg extends up, i see your point.

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:13 pm

The suspension adjusts itself when parked.

If you were to lock the car at 21.00hrs and be there again at 09.00hrs the next day, you would be treated to the spectacle of a twelve hour suspension reshuffle! Its quite amusing to watch the car especially if not parked on a flat surface. Up and down, wait, one or two individual adjustments, lots of expulsion of air from the pump area and finally an adjusted suspension. On that basis then, its not surprising that you found your car seemingly unaltered after a week. By my reckoning, it will have shuffled at least fourteen times over seven days of inactivity!!

There you go.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR