I broke the window mechanism today :(

Moderator: J44EAG

TGray

I broke the window mechanism today :(

Postby TGray » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:46 pm

Hi everyone.

I have a 53 plate X350 V6, petrol/LPGd with 159k miles on it. Silver with cream leather. I have done about 40k of those miles at the back end of the 159k :)

We have had several Jaguars, all XJs: X300 XJ, X308 XJR, X351 XJR and this X350 XJ. They are lovely cars and this one has been an absolute trooper wafting us on a 50 mile round commute every day.

Unfortunately this morning I tried to lower the drivers window and I think the window was frozen to the rubber. The window stays up and there is sound from within the door but no movement.

Any advice as to how to proceed? My first thoughts are to try to get the door card off and take a peek. Having not done that on this car, any booby traps I should be looking out for?

Also what could I be looking at? Something snapped, just come off? Broken and a new door required?

Any thoughts or advice very much welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
T Gray

J44EAG

Re: I broke the window mechanism today :(

Postby J44EAG » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:15 pm

I`ve not yet had a door card off one of these cars yet so am surmising what might have occurred.

If the internal window winder mechanism is anything like the S-type to which it is mechanically closely related, then I would think either a winder drive cable has snapped or some of the notoriously weak plastic parts have been broken by the strain of working against an iced window.

The sounds you will be hearing are certainly the motor and probably the window lift cables flailing around a pulley. The damage will be such that the mechanism will probably be irreparable. Spares are not usually available to carry out repairs and from past experience, it will be quicker and cheaper to buy the complete mechanism. A main dealer will be able to obtain a replacement part but an independent parts supplier such as Neville Anderson at Jaguar Spares Northeast is one our our good and recommended people in the spares business. Hope you speak fluent Geordie! Tell him you are a JEC member.

In the meantime, I suggest you solvent clean both sides of the window glass and put two long lengths of Gaffa tape or similar up the inside of the window, over the top of the door frame and back down the outside of the glass. This might stop the glass suddenly plummeting into the depths of the door.....its cold driving without a window glass!

Hope that helps.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

ptjs1

Postby ptjs1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:19 pm

T Gray,

I had the door cards off my 350 and it's quite easy. From memory:

- Carefully remove the screw cover in the centre of the scalloped panel that has the interior door lever
- Undo the screw that is then exposed
- Remove the three additional screws on the card - 2 just under the armrest, 1 right at the bottom of the card in the middle
- Carefully undo all the press clips around edge of the card
- Lift the card away a little bit (I can't remember if it needs lifting up?)
- Disconnect the door release lever (on the inside of the card)
- Disconnect the wiring plugs
- Remove the card

Good luck

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

irishjag

Postby irishjag » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:36 am

I've just replaced one of the door cards and that description by Paul is spot on.
The only thing I'd add is that the clips don't come away easily and it takes a bit of levering around the edge of the door card.
With your lever, try and peek around the edge to see where the clips are and where to apply pressure. I started at the bottom and worked my way up both sides.
Attached is a photo of the back of the card which shows where the clips are, 7 in total. The yellow prongs are just locators not fixing clips
doorcard.jpg
All the best
Chris
2003 XJR
1992 XJS